22. Attack

Arjun was disturbed beyond imagination.
He could not think what was right and what was an illusion anymore.

Sahil's motive was as clear as a crystal. Arjun would have traded anything to hear that his assumptions were not true, but the theory developing in his brain showed no other possibilities.
He watched from the window of the outhouse as Naren played cricket with little Geet in the garden. The beautiful bond between the girl and Naren, twisted a chord in Arjun's heart. He shook his head and decided to let the matter slide.
After all it was not his place to address the matter.

He dumped his jacket on the bed and shoes in the corner and pulled off the T-shirt off of his body. He marched towards the bathroom for a long soaking shower. The water could only wipe the fatigue not the mountain of thoughts that was eating up his sanity.
He regretted getting involved with the entire thing. He shouldn't have come back in the first place.
The situation was more complicated than he actually thought.

His train of thoughts was broken when his phone gave out a familiar ringtone. He knew who would call him in the morning.

He received the call and Kunal's voice boomed from the other end.
"Are you planning to stay there forever? Did you already fall for your wife?"

"Good morning, Kunal. I was about to call you." Arjun whispered in a low voice as he came out of the shower, wiping his body.

"All good? Are you fine?" Kunal asked.

"I think, I now understand why Sahil is so keen on marrying Veena." Arjun kept his voice bare minimum.

"I am listening."

Arjun peeped from the window to the garden and to the main house.
"Richa and Naren have a daughter. And I highly doubt she is Sahil's daughter. The reason is simple. Once he gets married to Veena, he would have an easy access to this house and to his daughter too. I mean... I can't see anything beyond it right now."

There was a moment of silence.
"That's a big allegation, Arjun."

"May be, I would be happiest man, if this proves to be false. I really don't want to see a betrayed Naren. He loves the girl. He would be heartbroken to know the truth." Arjun whispered helplessly.

Kunal hummed.
"What have you decided?"

Arjun sighed.
"I think, I should just sign the papers and get an easy out. I don't want to complicate the things, more than they are. And... I don't think, Veena would ever agree to marry him. She would take a wise decision for herself. That should solve most of our problems."

"Okay, think wisely.. And take care. I will call you later tonight." Kunal suggested before hanging up.

Arjun dressed himself in a comfortable loose T-shirt and cotton lounge pants. He opened the cabinets of the kitchen and pulled out a few ingredients to make breakfast for himself.

He first filled a glass of water and drank it one go. He then chopped an onion and a tomato and a few green chillies. He tossed that lightly in oil and added two broken eggs to it with some salt. The kitchen was instantly filled with aroma of spicy eggs. He cooked the eggs to perfection and served the entire thing on a plate. He tore opened a packet of bread and took four slices in another plate and walked to the other room.
He ate it to his hearts content. When he went to the kitchen to put the plates in the sink, he again drank another two glasses of water.

He came back to the living room and decided to address the mails that he had missed on.

Bansi looked at the outhouse and craned her neck to get a glimpse of her brother. She chewed on her thumb and contemplated. The last encounter was not the one when she could talk to him. The urge to see him and make sure that he was not angry, overwhelmed her.
She walked to the dining table and took a bowl. She then opened the cloche that covered the bowl of kheer. She filled a medium sized bowl with the kheer, covered it with a plate and walked away towards the outhouse.