chapter 37

Anubis POV

I smile cradling her head on my chest cuddling her closely in my arms as she slept. She hugs me tighter in her sleep mumbling to herself.

A knock comes from the door and I sigh in annoyance.

Can I ever have a moment of peace?

I thought to myself before calling the person in. "Come in."

Ammit walks in and I raise a brow not expecting her visit.

"What's the matter?"

Her reptilian eyes fell on me. "I've come to request an audience with you if you'd allow it." She states her eyes glancing to Syere sleeping figure cuddled closely to me.

"Sure, what is it?" I question my eyes unconsciously falling on Syere's sleeping face again brushing her hair away with a contented smile from the peaceful expression she wore.

"I rather not speak around—"

"I don't care." I flatten nonchalantly.

Her eyes knit in shock taken aback by my coldness towards her.

I continue,

"I'd rather not leave my chambers right now as I'm rather comfortable hugging my wife so if you must speak you can do so in her presence." I state solemnly.

She makes a face at the mention of the word wife. "If I may be blunt, the ceremony has yet to be held and you're already referring to her as your wife." She chuckles in surprise.

"Your highness...you're not seriously considering all of this to be real?"

"And why does that matter? Ceremony or not that's what she is."

She falls quiet before sighing in disappointment. "Anubis, my king." She chides with little pause. "Your increasing commitment to helping this...mortal is commendable however it may be ill placed." She drifts off her eyes casting over Syere sourly.

I brush off her blatant resentment towards Syere, not that surprised by it. Although even if we're childhood friends, that will not spare her forever from my anger if shes about to start spewing bullshit.

"Why do you think so?"

Her eyes meet mines, unwavering but reserved. "She's she's a mortal for one who wants to kill her self and she's furthest from equipped to be queen, not that she can be anyway." She mutters to herself.

"And why would any of those things deter me from marrying her and making her my queen?" I raise a brow incredulously.

She seems taken aback by my words momentarily wide eyed before promptly returning my glare with a fiercer glare of her own. "Have you lost your mind? Do you not care for your kingdom? Do you not remember what happened with the last mortal pet you kept?" She states rising in tone and Syere stirs briefly but she continues.

There's that word again.

Pet. Shit pisses me off

My eyes glance to Syere briefly.

I'm gonna try to be more patient cuz I'm in a good mood.

My dear albi said I love you.

I mentally grin at the memory.