Chapter 7

"Uncle Leona, Uncle Leona, I missed you!"

 "Cheka, quit it." The lion scoffed, trying his best to make the child stop climbing his lap like a tree.

Both the King and Queen smiled at each other, being soft at the fact that their son was truly having genuine fun with his uncle.

"Cheka, respect your uncle's wishes." The Queen laughed, before gesturing her son to come to her. Disappointed, but nodding anyway, the young boy went back to her mother as she climbs on her lap instead.

"Aunt Thea, Aunt Thea, let's go already!"

"Charlotte, please, let me get ready." Dorothea exclaimed, as her handmaiden chuckled behind her, curling her mistress's hair. "Emma, make her wait for me."

"You can't blame the child, your grace." Emma, who was already no help, kept on laughing. "She will finally be seeing the love of her life that's just a dorm away."

"For the love of--! Just stop it, you two." The princess huffed a breath, tired of their lovestruck faces. "You both think you're so luck that you both found some kind of purpose to live, do you?"

Both of them nodded.

Dorothea was disappointed. But, smiled anyway.

"Alright. I'm ready, let's go."

"Yay!" That was both of the hopeless romantics beaming.

"How was school, Leona?" Falena, the current King of Sunset Savanna, asked with a small smile on his face. When he asked, his younger brother could merely shrug. "Fine."

"Oh, that reminds me, I heard that--!"

"Charlotte!"

"Cheka!"

The two children went running towards each other before they engulfed themselves into a hug. It was so tight that the approaching older princess had to gesture Charlotte to back away a little, to give each other air.

"I terribly apologize for my niece's lack of manners." The princess smiled, before bowing her head. "It's my great honor to finally see you once more, your majesties. I hope the bright future is waiting for Sunset Savanna."

"Always those flowery words, still. Please, don't be too formal." Falena laughed loudly, a bright smile on his face as he clapped his hands, gesturing for the female to sit down so she wouldn't get tired standing up.

Taking on the King's offer, she sat beside Leona, but just a few feet away to keep her distance. Lord give her mercy, she still has no clue where those papers went a week ago and was truly surprised that the headmage hasn't called her yet.

"I heard what happened from the Queen, how are you here?" The, well, Queen of Sunset Savanna asked rather kindly, as the two children was now playing some kind of game in the corner.

"I'm doing rather wonderfully, thank you for your concern." Dorothea smiled, before looking over at Charlotte. Her hair is already messy, and her clothes are getting dirty. Well, she will have to change again later anyway.

"You truly care about the princess, how admirable." The Queen added her sentence, which made Dorothea smile even softer before shaking her head. "That's because the Queen is always busy to tend to other things, and I had to take Charlotte under my wing."

The couple looked at each other, before chuckling nervously.

"We have noticed lately, well ever since then, that you don't call the Queen your sister." They said, which also made Leona perk up. "You call her 'the Queen' or 'their mother' most of the time. May we ask why?"

"It's because she wants the throne."

All of them looked at Leona, who had his eyes closed, but his ears were wide awake, like always. Due to this, Dorothea huffed a breath.

"No, I do not."

"Of course, you do." Leona replied. "You're a second-born, and you want to be Queen but you can't."

There was silence after that.

However, it was popped not by a claw, but by her threatening tone that could resemble fangs.

"I would rather die than become Queen."

Everyone looked at the princess now, as Charlotte was chuckling at the background, before once more playing with her little prince.

"Pardon me, what I simply meant was that it doesn't matter to me which rank I have." She corrected herself, smiling. "If ever, I did want to steal the throne from Charlotte's mother, then I would've.. taken her life already."

"The reason why I don't call her my sister was simply because she never treated me as one." She added her sentence. "Yes, she comes to me when she has troubles, or when she needs me to join peace with another kingdom. To me, she was a Queen and a mother, not a sister."

All of them looked quite surprised. It wasn't everyday that you hear Dorothea curse like that. Usually, it's just polite smiles and small waves. But today was different, she needed to clear the misunderstanding.

After all, it didn't seem like a big deal back then, but when she hears other people's opinion, it was a different story.

"Then, Charlotte?"

"Charlotte is the second-born, and a daughter."

Ah. So, that's why.

"Anyway, this event has been turned to me, when you should be having some time to spend with the prince." Dorothea smiled, glancing at the man that was eyeing her with one eye before it closed once more.

"I don't really care, either way." He responded instead. "You're nice company, I suppose."

"Do you still like--!"

"Falena, I beg your pardon but stop."

Meanwhile, a girl that has her hair put into a rather messy bun was out to deliver some freshly made tea for the hyena as he 'ordered' some on the way to his quarter when they saw each other earlier.

She didn't have anything to do, simply because she didn't have family, and merely agreed with a contented smile on her face. After all, she didn't want to waste good tea when it's shared with.. company?

"Oh, Emma, come in!"

Oh boy.

"I apologize for my rudeness, I didn't meant to.." She trailed off, before smiling and entering the room. "Intrude."

Placing the tea cup and cookies that was brought this morning on the table, she sat down on one of the chairs the room had.

"It's a pleasure meeting you, I'm Emma Sinclair."

The elder woman chuckled, nodding along as she made sure to memorize her name correctly. Staring at the lady that just entered, she turned to her grandson with a soft smile.

"She is pretty, Ruggie."