Chapter 13

"Oh, Aunt, he even asked me to dance last night!"

"Isn't he just a gentleman, then."

Charlotte smiled when she heard her Aunt's sarcasm as the older princess continued to do her work, a pen in hand and some papers scattering all over her desk. It was clear she was busy, but even then, she always welcomes her niece.

"Please, you're just jealous."

"Dream on, Charlotte."

Both shared a laugh, before the younger princess stood up from her seat, and went towards the desk where Dorothea was working as of the moment. She had a grin on, and she knows this won't end well.

"I'm bored, Aunt Thea." Said Charlotte, whining. "Let's do something fun! It's the summer break, so you shouldn't spend all of it inside! We have so many things to do that are waiting, and all you do is delay them!"

To this, Dorothea sighs. It wasn't like she didn't want to hang out with her niece, but she was just too busy right now. The Queen gave her another set of documents just after giving them her finished ones this morning.

Due to that, she couldn't do much. If she could even recall, she only ate breakfast, got ready, and immediately started paperwork without much thinking up until Charlotte barged inside of her room.

"I would love to, but you know how it is." Dorothea replied after that short pause. "Her highness gave me another batch of these to finish that's due next week, so I can't have a break now, can I?"

Charlotte scoffed, before flipping her hair that was tied into pigtails.

"You said it yourself, it's due next week. Today is Monday, which means you have tomorrow, and days after that to finish it." She said. "Knowing you, you will submit it on time. Come on, pleaseeeeeee?"

Because of this, Dorothea had no other choice. She was either going to finish her paperwork but get distracted due to her niece that's much more annoying that her lady-in-waiting, or she could just give in to just end it.

"I'll get my coat."

"Yay!"

Charlotte had a bright smile on her face, as she twirled around, her eyes shining like she has always waited for this moment her whole entire life.

To this, Dorothea could only sigh as she smiled nonetheless. She was aware that her niece has always wanted to do ice skating for a while now, but because her mother didn't have the time to take her out, she never got the chance to.

"Be careful, Charlotte." Dorothea reminded, still holding on to the sides of the rink. "I don't want to bring you back home with a sore butt."

"Oh please, I'm an expert at this, Auntie!" The young princess said, before she fell on her butt.

Jinx.

Due to this, Dorothea couldn't help but laugh aloud, covering her mouth using her hand. Charlotte huffed a breath, before laughing together with her Aunt.

She loved this.

Charlotte was so happy she gets to have a bond like this one.

Laughing together, having blanket forts, doing tasks when needed. It was such a weird way to spend time together, but she was happy.

She loved their weird, little life and she would never trade this for the world.

"Charlotte."

But then again, she knew every time they're together, her Aunt would always find herself to question once again.

"Are you sure you like the first prince?"

Charlotte could only sigh, before eating a sandwich that was freshly made.

"I am."

Dorothea sighs for the second time that day, before looking around.

After having some time to go around the ice rink, they decided to take a break from it and go to a small food shop nearby. It was filled with so many desserts, junk food, and of course, the main course for the princess, coffee.

"You are still young to understand love, darling." She stated the obvious, before she heard a sigh coming for her niece. "Please, I already told you about the rule that says--!"

"Then, why can you love his Uncle?"

Dorothea paused for a moment, as she lowered her drink in the process. She tried to calm herself down before showing a smile.

"I'm not in love with Leona."

"You're lying."

Charlotte smirked as she answered just as immediately, and seeing that look on her Aunt's face was worth it.

"How about this, then. If you can talk with his Uncle, then I can talk to Cheka." She shrugged her shoulders. "And sooner or later, I can confirm if I like him or not."

Dorothea knew about her niece's games and how twisted it often is. But alas, she could only chuckle back.

"Alright."

After all, she already knew Charlotte's emotions to begin with.

Thankfully, before anyone could even notice, they sneaked back into the castle as the older princess makes sure her niece can get ready before bed that evening. With a nod, Charlotte left with a bright smile.

Dorothea was about to go back to her own chambers, when suddenly, she saw a figure that was sitting on one of the couches in the living room. The fireplace was lit too, as it made a crackling sound as well.

"Adam."

She called out with a small smile, before she bowed a little and turned away.

"Aunt, would you mind having a conversation with me?"

Glancing back, Dorothea nodded her head and sat on the couch across where the prince was sitting, and remained a soft smile on her face.

"Is there anything you want to tell me about?"

"I know about you and Charlotte's escape today." He replied as he sets his book down on the small table nearby. "But don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

"It's alright if you do tell, both of us won't mind." Dorothea responded. "Charlotte would understand, and despite knowing that we'll get in trouble either way, we enjoyed our time."

"That's what I don't like."

To this, Dorothea tilts her head as she saw his nephew lose his composure little by little. It was never like this, because she never got to have a proper talk with her in the first place.

"What do you--!"

"You're always with Charlotte. No matter what happens, you're always on her side. You're there to defend her when she's in the right or wrong, and you're willing to waste your time just so you can be together."

"That's just because she's special to me."

"And I'm not?"

Slightly, but surely, Dorothea widened her eyes. 

However, she remained calm.

"Aunt, I get that you favor her over me. But please, remember that you also have a nephew that wants to get to know you better. Who wants to spend time with you and won't care if he misses out on dinner just so he can laugh with you."

Throughout her life, Dorothea never paid attention to Freya. She didn't have to, because their mother was always there to sing the second princess to sleep, or to just smile together.

Standing up, she walked towards him, as she kneels in front of her nephew, and wipes away his tears.

"I apologize for my--!"

"Talk to me like I'm your nephew, too."

Dorothea laughs.

"I'm sorry, I truly am. Let's have a date tomorrow then, just you and me."

She already hears Charlotte's whining all the way from here.