Chapter 11

"Say, mind if I could have some of your coffee?"

Leona glanced at her, watching as she goes back in his car as he stood outside of the mall, looking rather deadpanned.

"That's mine. And if you wanted something hot, then you could've ordered that instead."

Dorothea had a smile on her face as she steps out of the car, closing its door before managing to hop towards the lion, if that was even possible as he was a good distance from her.

"You didn't even take a sip yet, and it's cold. Just this once, yes?"

Her response was short, before she dragged him inside of the building, even if she had no idea why they were here, in the first place. All she knows was that her energy and vibes are back, which is a good sign.

"Why did you suddenly invite me here, anyway?" She asks, observing the stores, food, and people that were basically scattered everywhere. "It's quite the drive, too. It's already past lunch time."

"Are you hungry?"

"No."

"Then, let's go."

"I asked you, where are we going?"

Leona didn't bother to answer, and just walked towards a very fancy shop. Trailing behind, Dorothea sighs.

There are only three options why he bothered to make such an effort.

1. He's bored and wants to actually do something in his life than sleep it all away.

2. There's a big event he was forced to go and was tasked to buy a gift.

3. An impossible scenario: this is a date.

"It's an event."

Called it.

"I thought you weren't into those?" She asks, looking at the stuff the store has to offer. It was simply a whole galaxy filled with one of everything. She looks around, as he muttered an answer.

"It's.. It's Cheka's birthday." He responded, making her stop. "I didn't--don't want to go, but that kid has been annoying the shit out of me, so I didn't have a choice."

Dorothea then glanced his way, and seeing him in this state, was so new it almost felt like she wasn't even looking at Leona Kingscholar right now.

"I think it's nice," She finally spoke, a small smile on her face as she once more, looked around her surroundings. "To have a child that adores you so much want you to be there on his special day."

"You're only saying that because of your niece." Leona grumbled, leaning on his chair as he sat. "If you were to attend the first child's birthday instead, then would you go?"

Stopping her tracks again, she almost made her smile fall, but she lets it stay there for a couple more minutes before sighing.

"I'm not that close with Adam, since he's always with his father." She admits. "But, even then, he's still my nephew, and the blood that runs inside him is something I have. Plus, as I said, I don't want to be Queen, so I don't hold a grudge whatsoever."

Leona's stare was deep, as if he wanting to protest, but chose not to. Instead, he lets out a frustrated groan.

"I don't know children that well, so I need you to find a gift for him." He says. "I don't care about the kid himself, but if I show up empty-handed, his mother will be disappointed."

Dorothea thought for a little bit. She wasn't close with the little prince at all, which means she won't know how to even decide for a present. However, there is one person she knows that may help.

Taking out her phone, she dialed the number of the castle's telephone. Leona, who was more patient than normal, could only observe from his chair.

"Yes, good afternoon. Can you pass the telephone to Charlotte for me?" Dorothea asked the kind servant that picked up, and once she heard the small running feet, she knew she was going to hear--!

"Aunt Thea! How I've missed you so much!" Charlotte's smile was heard and seen even from the other line, which made the lady smile as well.

"I've been missing you just as much." She replied shortly. "However, I would like to ask a question."

"Of course, anything!"

"Does Cheka have something he likes?"

"Hmm, something he likes, huh." Charlotte paused. "He likes anything that brings him joy. He doesn't really open up about something he would want for his upcoming birthday, though."

"Considering that you're aware, does that mean you're going?"

"Obviously! He invited me, just saying." The little princess laughed. "Are you going too? Since, you know, his Uncle will be going."

"No, I wasn't invited." Dorothea replied, as she heard a small disappointed sigh on the other line. "But, I promise, I'll come home when vacation arrives."

"You better!"

The call ended without any questions answered. What did she even expect? She was asking a literal child who grew up to be as innocent as a delicate flower when she's actually not. She should have asked someone else.

But, maybe that was also an excuse to check up on her niece?

"Le--!"

She didn't have time to turn around when she felt a pair of arms slither on her waist, holding her in place. His hair was making her itchy when he nuzzled his head on her neck.

"I'm tired. Let's just buy the first thing we see and let's end it at that."

"You can't." Said Dorothea, sighing. "It has to be a gift from the heart, it shouldn't be picked out of force."

"Then, let's just hurry."

And that's what they did. When they chose the present they think would be fitting for a literal toddler, they left to go find something for themselves this time.

"Also, I almost forgot, but the Queen wanted me to bring you along."

Her eyes widened, as she almost drops the drink she was holding ever since.

She's such a slow drinker.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" She huffed out a breath, before biting her lip. "But, as nice as her Majesty is to invite me, I don't think I can go. When summer break comes around, I need to go and do things back at home."

And once again, make peace with other kingdoms.

I mean, who knows what's happening in the palace right now?

"The Queen will be disappointed."

"But I--!"

"And Cheka was also looking for you."

"Leona--!"

"Just come with me."

"I already told you, and I can't abandon my work." She replied immediately, as Leona hummed, backing her up against a fitting room. "If I leave just like that, that kingdom I'm in will come crumbling, and I don't want that."

"You're not the Queen."

"But, I'm the Queen's diplomat."

"Why should you be?"

"Because I have no other purpose." Dorothea explained. "I don't want my life to be useless, just being all spoiled and not have something to do. I have intelligence, and that's enough for me to be what I am."

"But, you don't want to, do you?"

As Leona trapped her between the wall and his figure, she could only sigh.

What a stubborn prince.

"Of course, not." She admitted. "But, I have no other choice. If I can't be a diplomat, then what can I be?"

He leans in further, which made her stare into his eyes. So green, she noted.

"Carry this burdensome last name with me."

And then, the bastard kissed her.

When History Repeats || Leona Kingscholarजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें