21 | Confrontations of Bloodlines

SPILL

Yria's POV

A celebration of my return became the highlight of the kingdom in years. People's eyes sparkled with joy and excitement the way the chandeliers glinted with their majestic beauty. A lot of "Your Highness", "Your Majesty", and "Princess" buzzed in the ballroom as I passed by my people. They held a certain level of pride and respect for me even though I left them a few years ago.

Have they clung to hope this entire time? Did they know I will return sooner or later? Fear crept in my stomach, settling like a bad bug, burning me like acid.

"Hey. You okay?" Taylor spoke lowly beside me, his eyes still trained to Krian who was dancing in the middle of the ballroom with Andros swaying her, impressing the crowd.

"Do I look okay to you?"

"You don't have to force yourself if you don't like this." He commented and I shook my head lightly.

"No. I need to do this or else my kingdom will fall." He tilted his head to the side curiously.

"What do you mean by that?"

"You do not know much about the Wafian realm, don't you?" I chuckled as we both stopped at the corner, a few feet away from the dance floor.

"I grew up in the human world, remember? I am not as exposed to the empire as much as you are even though you ran away." He matched my tone and I sighed.

"Do you hear the ice crackling sometimes?" I motioned at the entire ice castle with the large ice crystal chandelier hanging above our heads.

"Yes, I do. What's with it?"

"You must have heard of the ice caps melting, yes?" He just nodded at my question so I continued. "The strength of our castle and our entire pod comes from our people's beliefs with the Moon Goddess and the monarchy. That's why our own pod stands strong no matter how harsh the climate changes. My people's faith with Ice Desertum Pod keeps it together. Without their faith in us, the entire kingdom will crumble and fall."

"So the royals here literally rely their lives with their subjects' faith towards them?" He asked and I nodded. "Yes."

"So why did you run away? You risked your whole kingdom by running away." He began to sound like my old companion in France and I stifled a laugh.

"You sound like Vermont." I commented and he snorted, shaking his head.

"I'm just stating the obvious. You seem to care about your own people but you're also one reckless woman." I shrugged at his harsh words towards me.

"Why did you run away, Yria?" He asked so softly I was afraid I was imagining him asking the million-dollar question everyone wanted to ask. I sighed and looked at him. He looked good wearing royal clothes with his own realm color of royal blue sash adding life to his whole black suit.