23 | She Who Calls Demons

HORRID

Yria's POV

Someone was shaking my whole body... A weak attempt to wake me up. Then, they began patting my cheeks before shaking me up and down again.

Their hands were cold and soft; cautious pats coming from them on my cheeks. Then another round of shaking my body ensued.

"Ugh.... stop. My head hurts." I squinted as I rose to consciousness. My whole body felt like it was run by a train multiple times; heavy and aching in all places I never thought I could even be in pain.

In front of me was a frantic Krian, her hair disheveled and black goo smudged across her face and arms.

"Krian? What... what happened?" I asked her. Her eyes widened before her fingers began to speak for me.

"Ugh. I can't... I don't understand you." I groaned, rubbing my temple. She huffed in frustration.

"Aaah-aaaah." She tried to speak and as soon as those words came out of her mouth, the ground began to shake violently.

"Krian, stop! Don't!" She froze in place at my order. "Don't talk. Where's your board? You can write there." I suggested and she frowned, shaking her head.

"You don't have it?" I clarified and she nodded before pointing it downstairs.

"Oh you left it. Ugh... do you have a phone with you?" She nodded and began to crawl around the attic as if searching for it.

I froze at the scene in front of me. The whole attic was a mess. Black shards from it looked like from the solidified black goo were scattered everywhere. I looked up at where the supposed honey-colored gem should have been.

"Krian? Where is the gem?" I asked. I knew deep in my gut that the gem was Gula. It needed to be destroyed.

The girl pointed at my lap and my attention quickly went to it. There laid a small piece of the gem in a light brown hue. It didn't look as radiant as before. It was now dull, lifeless, and useless. I held the small fragment of the gem in my fingertips. Who would have thought that someone used this to take my power and my life away?

"What happened?" I breathed out, overwhelmed by the sequence of events that happened. I just watched the girl in front of me look through the pile of black shards until her face beamed with delight.

"Hm!" She held the phone in the air proudly as if declaring to me she had found her lifeline. Well... technically it was her lifeline. She can't talk to anyone without it now that her magical whiteboard gifted by Caius was nowhere in sight.

"Krian?" I asked again, looking around the attic. "Where is everyone?" She rushed to my side, typing quickly on the phone.

They left. They are with the army near the castle gates. I read the text on the screen twice. I must be hallucinating. There is no way that the army is out there. Centuries have passed without a war in our pod. No way are we getting into a battle now.