Chapter 4

You freeze when you see John enter the bookstore

'Me. Wick? It's lovely to see you!'

He gives you a small smile, 'hope you're well... Say, has anyone been roaming around the area? During the evening, especially last night?'

'Wait what? What happened?'

John scratched the back of his head, 'someone managed to get into my backyard. So I was wondering if you noticed anyone suspicious?'

'No. I was with someone'.

'Right... Thanks, anyway I'm here to look for a book of course'.

'Oh yeah, I understand if you ask me, I do live across the road from you after all'.

Holy shit!

You could see that he was having a hard time believing you for some reason, 'I'll keep an eye out, but I'll be out tonight'.
John's eyes met yours, 'really? If you don't mind me asking-'.

'Michael, this guy I've been talking to, we'll be going out to dinner'.

You swear you see something flicker in the older man's gaze but you couldn't quite pick it up.
John smiled tightly, 'well, I hope the dinner goes well, he's a lucky man'.

'Uh, yeah I guess he is'.

John stepped aside for an elderly woman who passed away book to you.

'Any plans for you tonight then, Mr. Wick?'

John shakes his head, 'no, not anything special'.

Are you sure? Are you sure that that woman was not special.

You finish up the transaction and wave the old woman off before turning your attention back to John.

'Talking about the thing about breaking into your home, did the person do anything? Like, did they steal anything?'

He smirked, 'well they didn't steal anything, but they did break one of my favourite plant pots'.

Oh great! Just fucking great- thanks Melanie.

You pretend to act like you had no idea, and it was a little hard to lie to the man, especially when he was looking at you in such a way.
The front door opened and you looked past John to see Melanie. Her eyes grew wide when she noticed John.

'Oh! Is this your neighbour?'

John looked back at her and smiled politely, 'hello, I'm John, and you must be Melanie'.

'Yeah, I am! Sorry for interrupting, I was checking up on my friend here'.

You give her a small nod along with a specific look, fucking keep it together! Don't break under his gaze!
John nodded towards one of the book aisle, 'I was also wondering if you have any bestsellers?'
You point to the aisle closest to the door, 'I just put those books out, Cindy said that she had grabbed these ones, they're pretty good'.
John went through the bookcase whilst Melanie stood at the counter, whispering.

'Was he suspecting you?'

She whispered and you shook your head, though it was kind of clear that he didn't fully believe you.

'Just... Keep it together and don't break, that's all I ask- this is your fault anyway, so whatever happens? You're going down in your own'.

Melanie burst out laughing and you whacked her shoulder, 'will you shut the fuck up?!'
John didn't look your way, clearly too engrossed with the books.

What a second... How did he know Melanie's name?

'Melanie?'

She looked back at you in confusion when she saw your worried look, 'what?'

'Did you see John before?'

'Before? No, only when we snuck over to his place'.

'How the does he know your name?'

'Huh?'

'He knows your name... But I never introduced you to him... He asked me if I noticed anyone suspicious around the area last night, and I said that I was with someone, I didn't specifically mention you'.

Both you and Melanie looked back at the aisle... John was gone.

Oh shit...