Chapter 6

'My house... My fucking house'.

You watched the car drive off down the street. Disappearing into the night. Of course, the sound of sirens weren't too far behind.

'Holy shit! I'm sorry about your house (Y/N)!'

You noticed a few people leaving their homes to see what had happened, are you fucking serious? My house got shot up and you're coming out to see what happened? What if the killers was still outside?!

You hear someone calling out to you and you turned to see John approaching you quickly, 'are you okay? Did you get hurt?' You look back at the house, 'no, I'm fine I didn't get hurt. I was coming back from town square, I just had dinner-'.

'With me'.

Michael approached the both of you and you instantly recognised the look he was giving John.

Oh hell no.

Michael assumed that just because he went on one date with you, that you belonged to him? Fuck that!

'I'm alright Michael, we have to stay here, the FBI just got here'.

You watched as the officer hopped out of their cars, and you realised that you had no where to go, 'shit uh... I don't have a place to stay', you whisper to yourself.

'If you want, you can stay with me, or I can get you a place for a few nights?'

John suddenly said and you look at him in near shock, 'you'd do that?'
Michael glared at John, 'I'm sure she wouldn't need that at all'.

Oh fuck off!

'I think it's best I stay with you John, I don't particularly want to move further away from my home'.

You try your best to ignore Michael but it was clear that he was far from happy.

'I doubt I'd be allowed in there seeing as my home got shot at'.

You couldn't help but giggle at that comment.
An officer approached all three of you, 'evenings sirs, madame, I'm sorry but do you know who owns this house?'
You motion to him, 'that would be me', he write down his notes, 'did you notice anything odd before all this happened? Do you have any enemies?'

'Enemies? God no, not that I'm aware of'.

You had a tight circle and you weren't the type to get into trouble... As far as you were aware.

You continued on with the questions until you finally made your way to John's house. Michael was invited in as well which made you a little nervous.

'John, you really don't have to do this'.

You chuckled nervously but the man shrugged, 'it's quite alright, you just witnessed something terrible, you'll need to recover and then you can head back home. The house doesn't look too bad but they need to investigate and get some of the bullets'.
You cock an eyebrow at him, 'hmm, you seem to know a lot about this stuff'.

'I've read too many crime books so it seems'.

You hear Michael scoff but John thought nothing of it.

'You want a drink? Hot drink?'

'Uh yeah, just a white tea, no sugar please'.

'Alright, what about you Michael? Do you want a drink?'

Michael shook his head, 'no, I'm fine... Say, it's amazing how you were there'.

Oh god no.

You stop him, 'Michael it's fine, I'm just glad that I hadn't gone into my home when it all happened'.
He shrugged but returned his gaze back to John, 'I'm just saying that it's quite interesting that John here was quick to offer-', you sigh loudly, 'alright, I think you're in shock or something Michael, I think you should head home'.
He looked at you incredulously, 'are you serious? You're happy to-'.

'Yes, I'm fine, there's no need to stress. Now can you please get home safe, you've got my number, I'll message you'.

He glared at John before swearing under his breath, 'fine, I'll see you two later'.
You walked him out of the house and waved him goodbye as he drove off.
When you returned to the kitchen, John had finished off the drinks, 'he looked rather unimpressed'.

'Hey, he's uh, he gets like that when he thinks that he's got...m.

John smirked, 'competition?'

You felt your cheeks grow hot, 'anyway! Let's get down to whatever the hell happened!'

'I'm glad that you're not hurt'.

'We can say that I was lucky'.

'Very lucky'.

'Do you think that it was the person who was roaming around last night?'

John was quiet for a few moments, 'hmm, I'm not so sure, maybe'.
You also remembered Mel, 'also... I wanna ask you something'.

'Yes?'

'How do you know Melanie?'

He frowned at you, 'I only just met her, when she walked into the book-'.

'You knew her name before I even introduced her'.

John was quiet for a few moments, 'I... Saw her on the phone and she mentioned her name'.

Right... that sounds like bulllshit.

You went to speak but John's phone went off and he was quick to answer.

'Marcus? Yes, is everything okay?'

You sat down on the stool and waited for the phone call to finish.
You were curious now, and then suspicious when he began to speak in a different language.

Fifteen minutes and he finally hung up, 'sorry, that was my friend Marcus, he's not fluent english'.

'Right... I'm so confused as to why it was me that they were after'.

'Was there anyone that you could have interacted with that you found suspicious?'

'No, not that I'm aware of'.

You sip your drink, 'I don't feel comfortable enough to go back home... If those people find out that I'm still alive, they might come back around'.

'I know, you need to stay here'.

'I know there's more to knowing my friend'.

John stopped what he was doing and stared you straight in the eyes, 'Marcus will be coming around very soon. He can... Help us'.
You were growing quite agitated about the fact that you were being ignored.

'Alright fine, but why the hell is he coming around to help us?'

John sipped his drink, 'he just needs to sort some things out with me, that's all'.
You could tell that he was lying but you didn't want to get on his bad side.

'I knew that it was Melanie and you that was in my backyard'.