Chapter 9

'So... This is mum and dad'.

You traced the faces on the page. Your mother and father were young when they had you, 'so, they were assassins as well?'
John nodded slowly and at that moment you noticed him in the photos, 'that's you... You were around when they were there'.

He looked rather young.

John leaned over to have a look, and a small smile crossed his face, 'yes, that was not long before you were born'.
You did notice that your mother's bell was swollen, you were inside of her, ready to come out.

'When did this explosion happen?'

'You were six years old, your mother didn't make it, but your father did'.

'And he was the one who ordered the surgery or something?'

John nodded, 'he wanted you to survive because your mother didn't, he didn't have any other family- he had Winston and the others, but we understood'.

'But the consequences was that I would lose my memory'.

John nodded, 'yes, your father was devestated, though we warned him about this... He passed away not long after you had recovered'.
You tried to picture a life with those two people in your life... But it was hard.
You felt a warm hand on your shoulder, 'I'm sorry that you had to find out this way, they were a lovely couple and-'.

'Why didn't you take me in?'

John stared down at you in slight shock, 'I uh, you wanted me to take you in? I couldn't do that', you close the book, turning your full attention onto him, 'yes, you, why couldn't you keep me?'

'Because I was too young (Y/N), I was only in my early teens when you were born'.

You sighed, 'I would have been able to stay in this place if you kept me'.

'It wouldn't have been the best place to grow up, trust me, I know'.

'You grew up here? Since the start?'

'Well, not really from the start, but long enough to know that you would have a better life outside the walls of The Continental'.

'You knew what was best for me, even though you said that you were too young to look after me'.

John shook his head, 'I'm sorry, but I'm glad that you left this place, you've been going strong ever since you left'.

'Huh, so you've been spying on me for years then'.

'I'm not going to deny it'.

Although it was crazy, you also felt... Happy that he had been watching you.

'Well... Alright, I guess you don't have to spy on me that much because I'm by your side a lot'.

John smiled, 'that you're not wrong'.

You passed the book back to John, 'I kinda wanna keep this aside... To look at it later'.

'I understand'.

'So... Who is this, Celine Devon?'

John placed the book on the table, 'Celine and I have some history, we... We're lovers at one stage'.

'Was that her? When you, we're back at yours that night?'

You hated admitting in a way that you were then that night.
John shook his head, ' no, that wasn't her- and that wasn't some strange woman that came into my house, her name was Solana. A friend of Celine's, she tried to gain access to some information that I had but I couldn't let her have it's.

'So... Did you kill her or something?'

John frowned at you, 'what? No, I didn't kill her'.

'Hey! Don't look at me like that, you're a fucking hit man! Don't blame me for thinking that you might have killed her!'

'That's fair'.

He joined you on the bed, 'there's some unfinished business that we have... And she wants to get it sorted'.

'And why won't you sort this out with her then?'

'Because it's part of my family and I'm not going to let her take anything from them'.

'Isn't there anyone else who she can get access to?'

'No, it's just me'.

'Well, sounds like you're in trouble then'.

John looked away, 'I guess, but this is my family that's part of this. You may not be part of my family but you're close to being one'.
You felt warmth inside yourself when you heard John say that.

'Wow, sounds like I have to stay hidden then, I don't wanna get in the way of this, Celine'.