Chapter 5

After that experience in the bookstore you were on edge. You hadn't seen John later on, it was like he disappeared into thin air.
It took you a few moments to realise that Michael was talking to you.

'Hey... Are you okay? I've been trying to get your attention for at least one minute'.

He looked at you in concern and you shook your head, 'yeah sorry, just daydreaming that's all'.
Michael smiled, 'you're daydreaming over this date we're having, don't worry I don't blame you!'

Oh you gotta be kidding me...

You follow him into a lavish restaurant. La Capanina it was called, you did say that you liked Italian food. Somewhere deep down, you appreciated Michael and his effort to get your attention, but there wasn't going to be anything else.
He led you to the far side of the restaurant where the two of you sat next to the large window.

'I've gone here a couple of times, I've even sat here before, it was quite nice, so I hope you like it's.

He pours you a glass of water and passes the glass to you, 'thank you, this place looks beautiful'.
You had walked past this place quite a few times but you didn't particularly have the funds or interest in going. This was a place for couples to go to... But you and Michael weren't a couple and never would be.

Further into the evening, Michael had eaten something spicy and you had to grab a glass of milk for him, 'my mum gave me milk whenever I ate something that was too spicy for me', you try your best not to laugh at him as he chugged the whole glass. You could see how red his face had gotten because of the curry.

'Fucking hell this curry's good, but I can't have this again, no way!'

You gently push your bowl of soup towards him, 'here, you didn't have much, have a little bit of my food'.

'Oh god, hell no, I'm good thanks, I don't think I'll be able to eat anything else'.

'Really? You've barely eaten anything'.

'Yeah, but I'll be fine!'

You take a sip of the soup, not bad.

When the two of you stepped out of the restaurant you felt the cold night air wrap around your body.
You shivered slightly but made sure that Michael didn't see, 'thanks for tonight, this was a good place to choose', he gave you a wide smile, 'the pleasure is all mine!'
He began to walk with you. It was a good thing that you weren't too far away from the town square.

'I wouldn't mind going on another date with you if that's okay?'

Michael asked and you prayed that he wouldn't ask, 'look Michael... I-'.
You stop when you hear the screeching of tyres on tarmac and you look over to see a black car that had stopped in front of your house.
You screamed the moment you noticed the guns. They started firing in seconds, the bullets entering your house.

'Get down!'

Michael yelled as he pulled you behind a stray car. You covered your ears in an effort to drown out the sound of the guns.

What the hell is going on?!