Chapter 9

Keefe thrashed and kicked at Brant as he threw him into his cell. Alvar was there waiting for him. "They got you huh."

"No I don't think they did Alvar, I called them and politely asked them to drag me back here," Keefe muttered.

There was nothing else he could do. Saylor got burned because of him. All he could do was sit and hope she woke up. He didn't think she could take much more. She's obviously the strongest person Keefe had ever met, being able to endure 14 years of torture with the Neverseen. But even he couldn't deal with them for a week. That's when he heard Saylor scream from all the way across the hideout. Even Alvar looked a little green.

"No! Alvar you have to let me help her." Keefe begged as he punched and kicked the door.

"Keefe stop you can't do anything about it," Alvar said, a little shaken.

Keefe began pacing the room. All he could do was wait. But then he had an idea.

"Wait Alvar, how much do you know about the Neverseen and Saylor?"

"I know a bit. Why?"

"Curious about why she has 13 abilities and how she got a lot of her scars."

"Well, I guess I can tell you since it's not like this information is classified or anything."

"Tell me everything," Keefe said while he sat down.

He could still hear Saylor's pain-filled screams. Sophie better gets here soon.

"Okay, well she has 13 abilities instead of her original 3 because when Gethen arrived with her, she was out because of a blast with a melder. Gisela decided to keep her asleep by giving her a weird ogre enzyme. That can be reversed with a cure only they have. They kept her asleep for 2 years while they tweaked her genes, made her look different, and overloaded her with abilities."

Keefe was seeing red. "What did they do to make that happen?"

Alvar shrugged "I don't know. I wasn't in there when they edited her."

"They didn't 'edit' her. She's not some object." He said defensively.

"Well, you pretty much know the rest of the lovely story called Saylor's life." He said with a smirk.

Keefe realized how helpless he was as he continued pacing the room hoping and praying Sophie gets here soon and get her out of that horrid place.