Chapter 11

Fitz rushed door to door trying to find her. He knew what she looked like and what floor thanks to Sophie talking to Keefe. He found Keefe first. He sat on the floor of his cell with his head in his hands. Angry tears were running down his face

"Keefe, what's wrong?"

"It's Saylor, she was screaming a lot," Keefe whispered. Fitz paled and that's when he heard it. The faint screaming. Keefe started trembling.

"It's getting quieter and quieter Fitz, she's been screaming for almost 5 minutes straight."

Fitz shuddered, "Well let's go get her!" Right as he said that the screaming stopped abruptly. They went rigid.

What did that mean? Is Saylor okay? Fitz had never even met her and he felt like he had known her for ages. They ran full speed down the corridor to her cell. When they got there, their hearts slammed against their chests. The door was open.

"Is she still here?" Fitz whispered.

Then they heard the light gasps for breath coming from inside. They made their way into the room and Keefe would have collapsed if Fitz hadn't caught him.

She was laid out on the ground and Fitz immediately noticed the black vein-like scars of Shadowflux all over her. On her arms, legs, and head. He slowly lifted up her shirt to see them all over her stomach as well.

Fitz gasped "Keefe, she's been hit with Shadowflux. Look it's all over. Her skin is turning blue!"

He quickly realized that their team was still wandering the halls.

"Dad, we found her. But you need to come quickly." Fitz transmitted to Alden.

Meanwhile, Keefe was gently trying to get Saylor to wake up, but failing miserably. Her breath was getting lighter and lighter.

Keefe and Fitz whirled around when they heard running footsteps down the hallway. They sighed with relief when they saw Edaline, Alden, Dex, and Lihn run in. Each stopped in their tracks when they saw Saylor.

Alden paled when he saw her, "We can't leap her, her body wouldn't be able to handle it."

Fitz realized he was right, there was no way they could light leap her. "We should at least get her out of the hideout," Fitz said angrily, he couldn't believe the Neverseen did this.

Alden nodded trying to think.

Edaline snapped her fingers and a blanket appeared and landed over Saylor.

"She looks freezing," Edaline said quietly, her voice cracked.

Alden looked up "We need to just gently carry her. Telekinesis is too risky. We don't have the strength to be able to lift her using Telekinesis and not bump her into something. Everyone, be really careful. She has many broken bones and we don't want to cause any more damage."

Everyone nodded as they gently lifted her up. She was a lot lighter than they thought, being only skin and bones.

Even Alden's eyes got glassy when he looked down at the young girl in his arms.

"No one deserves 14 years of that." He whispered and everyone nodded in agreement.

They carefully walked down the hallway when they came face to face with Gisela and Umber.

Alden gritted his teeth "Get out of the way."

"Give us the girl. She's ours."

"Last time I checked you kidnapped her, so technically she's not." Dex fired.

"And last time I checked we tweaked her genes, gave her 10 more abilities, and raised her. She's more ours than yours. We made her into who she is" Everyone gasped

"10 abilities? That's too much for anyone. Especially for an innocent child." Edaline said shakily.

And Fitz's eyebrows raised, "You made her into the person she is? Have you seen her? You're proud of that?" They ignored him.

"First of all, she has 13 abilities. Second, she is anything but innocent. Think about what her life has been like. If you think you are getting this happy, innocent girl you are mistaken. If you take much longer there won't be a girl to take home." Umber laughed.

Everyone looked at Saylor and realized she was right, she was getting bluer and they could barely hear her breathing.

Fitz transmitted to Sophie "Gisela and Umber are here trying to take Saylor back, we need help now."