03 | Some Things Are Worse Than Detention

"Wanna skip fourth with me?" I asked, looking over at Jim who was pretending to care about the math assignment.

"Yeah sure. We might be late to the library though," he replied with a teasing smile.

"Like I said, can't make any promises,"

He laughed.

"Does this make any sense to you?" he asked, gesturing to the math problems in front of us.

I glanced down and then back at up Jim.

"Not in the slightest," I said and he nodded.

"Right? Where's Ellie when you need her,"

"Honors English," I spat and Jim sighed heavily.

"I cant believe we have three years of this left," he groaned and I laid my head down on the table.

"Miss Jackson! The work needs to be completed by the end of this lesson otherwise its detention," Mrs. Rogers snapped.

I sat up and gave the problems another look.

"For question three, is the answer fifteen or am I insane?" I asked Jim.

"Its fifteen," he agreed and I smiled with satisfaction that I had managed to get a question right.

Unless we were both insane.

But I didn't have much time to ponder those thoughts as the bell rang right at that moment.

Jim and I made panic eyes at each other.

"How are we supposed to get ready for the trip if we're in detention?!" I whispered anxiously as Mrs. Rogers glared at us.

"You two. Lunchtime detention. Right here, 12:00. Don't be late," she sneered as she walked past us.

"Guess we aren't skipping fourth," Jim grumbled.

...

"Where on Earth were you two?" Charles cried as Jim and I entered the library after school to face one very concerned Watcher and two very bored looking friends.

"Yeah where were you? We had to spend the whole of lunch listening to Charles rant about how irresponsible you are. Oh and then we got a lecture on Hellmouths and Sunnydale history! And now we're back here!" Casey hissed.

"Will you ever call me Mr. Walters?" Charles asked and we all giggled.

"But honestly, where were you?"

Jim and I shared a look.

"Detention," we said simultaneously.

"Whatever did you do?" Charles exclaimed and I rolled my eyes.

"We didn't finish the math assignment in time,"

Casey and Ellie glanced at each other, clearly stifling laughter.

"You have to be more responsible! In case you are not aware we leave for Sunnydale tomorrow at eight am and we still have to go over precautions and make sure that you're all packed and equipped with the things that you need to stay alive!" Charles cried.

I sighed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realise we had so much to do,"

He shook his head and walked over to where Jim and I stood.

"It's alright. But that just means we have more work to do now. I suggest you all go home, bring your suitcases and everything you need like clothes and so forth, and we'll meet back here at five. Okay?"