09 | Screaming And Fighting And Arguing About Ancient Demons

"This is tubular!" Casey yelled over the noise that night at the Bronze.

Turns out, it was actually a decent place.

"Yeah!" I called back, the four of us moving off the dance floor and towards an empty table.

"I wish we had something like this back home," I added once we could talk at a normal decibel.

"God, I don't! My head feels like it's about to explode," Ellie moaned, taking a seat on one of the table's stools.

Casey and I laughed while Jim just smiled, taking a seat down next to her.

"Any idea where the Watchers are?" he asked.

"They said they were going to be in the library for a little while. Hopefully we can figure this out," Ellie said and I nodded in agreement.

"We will. We always do, right? Figuring stuff out is kind of our deal," Casey spoke.

"I thought killing stuff was our deal," I replied and she shrugged.

"We can have more than one deal,"

I grinned.

"You could also have a World Record of the amount of times you can say the world deal before giving your friend an aneurysm!" Ellie grumbled and we all laughed.

"Awfully specific but I think you're onto something," Jim teased and she glared at him.

"Want me to drive you back to the library?" I offered.

Ellie's eyes widened.

"Seriously? Oh my gosh thank you so much," she gushed and I grinned.

"No worries. I'll be back in a minute guys," I said to the others before leading Ellie out of the Bronze.

I had never seen Ellie this disheveled before; her dark red hair falling out of its usually tight ponytail, skirt and singlet crumpled.

We had driven here in Mr. Giles' car that he had kindly let us borrow, so I opened the car door for Ellie to get in.

"Thanks again. And sorry I'm so boring- it's just so loud in there," she said quietly and I smiled.

"No worries. And I don't think you're boring. You've got more of a life than I do," I replied as we drove back towards the high school.

"That's not true!" she exclaimed, incredulous and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh please. I haven't been on a date since 8th grade, the most interesting thing I do on a Friday night is kill vampires and the other day my dad told me he was going to a party and that he'd be back by midnight,"

Ellie laughed and I smiled back weakly.

"At least we can be boring together," she said and I grinned.

"Yeah. We're not as boring as the Watchers though. Bet they're in there talking about demons and vampires right now," I replied as we walked up the steps to the school.

"I don't think you understand the severity of this situation!" Mr. Giles was saying as we entered the library.

"I understand it just fine Mr. Giles!" Charles was nearly shouting back.

"Hi..." I spoke and they both turned around to look at us.

"Oh hello Summer," they said as one, glaring at each other.

"Watcher feud?" I asked.

"Uh, something like that," Mr. Giles agreed. "How may we help you two?"

Ellie and I glanced nervously at each other.