06 | No Really, We're Just Acquaintances

"And we're entering Sunnydale now," the bus driver called out, startling the five of us awake.

"This is our stop," I mumbled, attempting to shake Jim's head off of my shoulder.

He looked up and grinned.

"Sorry,"

I grinned back, taking our bags down from the holder.

"Let's go get Hellmouthed!" Casey cheered and I flashed her a 'please shut up now' look.

"Casey!" Charles hissed.

"Right. Sorry," she whispered back as we exited the bus and stepped out into the town that was Sunnydale.

"Where exactly are we going?" Ellie asked after a moment and Charles shook his head and turned to look at us all.

"To my uh...acquaintance's house," he said.

"And who is this acquaintance of yours?" I asked.

"He's a Watcher. His name is Rupert Giles," Charles told us, walking ahead of us.

The four of us hurried to catch up.

"Who was this guy's Slayer?" Casey asked and Charles sighed.

"Nobody. He hasn't had one yet. But he's been assigned to Sunnydale for some reason. He was sent here at the beginning of this year and has very kindly allowed us to stay for the week. Although I do believe he was only expecting Summer and I,"

Jim, Ellie and Casey exchanged a glance.

"He's not going to kick us out is he?" Ellie asked nervously.

Charles turned to look at her for a brief moment, shaking his head.

"I doubt it,"

"You doubt it? That's not very reassuring," Jim muttered.

The five of us walked down the street towards where Charles was leading us.

"Where does he live?" Casey asked as we passed rows and rows of houses painted white and complete with picket fences.

"In an apartment just up here," Charles replied.

"I didn't realise Sunnydale would be so American Dream-y," I muttered to Jim and he laughed, grinning down at me.

I smiled back, but I was blushing.

Something about this town was making me fall harder for him than I had before and wed only been here five minutes.

I wondered whether something romantic had or would happen here as we crossed the road into the town's shopping area. (A/N: Buffy and Angel's snow scene in season 3 😭)

I could feel it in the air.

"It's so...romantic here," Ellie whispered, seemingly echoing my thoughts aloud.

"You feel it too? I would have thought the Hellmouth would feel more evil, but..." I added, my voice trailing off as we arrived at a tall apartment building.

"This is it?" Jim asked and Charles nodded in response, knocking sharply on the door.

The five of us stood there awkwardly for a moment before a tall, bespectacled man in his early thirties appeared at the door.

"Oh! Mr. Walters, do come in," he said with a British accent that matched that of Charles.

"The first and only time he's ever called that," Jim muttered in my ear and I giggled.

Rupert Giles glanced behind Charles to see the four of us.

"Oh!" he said again. "Uh, who are these people exactly?"