18 | Your Honor, I Tripped On A Box Of Candles

"What do you think?" I asked Ellie, the four of us standing in front of the mirror.

We were shopping at the Sunnydale Mall, trying to find a new wardrobe for Ellie.

"I don't know...isn't it kind of bright? I look like a traffic cone," she spoke and I had to stifle laughter.

"No way. That colour palette is totally in right now," Casey added.

"And besides, bright's the whole point! You need a bit of colour in your life El!" I said and Ellie frowned, looking herself up and down.

"Its just not...me," she replied.

"What's you then? Coats that reach the floor and skirts that my grandmother would wear?" Casey muttered annoyed.

I shot her a look before turning back to Ellie.

"I mean, I think you look great but if you don't like it lets keep looking," I told her and she smiled.

"You think?"

I nodded, looking over at a bored Jim for encouragement.

He glanced up and caught my eye.

"Yeah! You look awesome. But I think I know somewhere that's more your style," he spoke and Ellie turned to look at him.

"Really? You know clothes shops?" she asked, incredulous.

Jim grinned.

"My sister does anyway,"

I smiled gratefully at him as Ellie disappeared into the change rooms to take the plasticky skirt and bright pink tube top off.

She was right, it wasn't her, but she did look amazing nonetheless.

"Do you actually know somewhere?" I asked Jim and he laughed softly.

"Yeah. Dakota passed through here a few years ago on her way to LA. She told me just before we left,"

"About the store?" I asked.

"No, about the fact that she'd been here. But yeah she told me that it was where she got this skirt she was wearing. It reminded me of Ellie so..." he answered and I laughed, pulling him into a kiss.

Casey cleared her throat and we pulled away, giggling sheepishly.

"Can we keep the public displays of affection to a private level? Thanks," Casey spoke and I rolled my eyes.

"You're just jealous," I teased, laughing and she blushed slightly.

"No way," she replied but I could tell she didn't mean it.

Casey had only ever had one real boyfriend; back in freshman year and even he hardly counted; seeing that he broke up with her after only two weeks.

"Okay," Ellie spoke, emerging from the change room.

"Lets get out of here," she said and we all agreed, leaving the small clothing store behind us.

"So is this place like even in the mall or are you going to make us hike to some swamp?" Casey asked as the three of us followed Jim's lead.

Jim laughed, turning to look at her for a brief moment.

"Dakota said it was in the mall. If you have to hike to a swamp you can be mad at her," he replied and Casey smiled, apparently satisfied with his response.

Jim's sister Dakota was five years older than the four of us and she was currently in her senior year of college at the Mackay Hills college that was technically University of Mackay Hills but everyone called UCMH.