19

TW: Gore, murder, death, angst

September 1st

Mika was so excited to reunite with the team that had treated him so kindly during the hunter exam. He arrived at where they had planned to meet.
YorkNews market was bustling with merchants and customers. Various food stands up and tons of tents decorated with bright and colorful jewelry and several stands selling ancient intriguing items. One in particular caught Mika's attention, one raggedy looking torn up tent that made his heart stop for a moment when he noticed something on their stand. He walked up to it and inspected the item.

"Hello there, looking to buy? I see you're looking at a serpent artifact, straight from the ruins of the pytharia clan. That'd be 8,500 Jenny"

Mika didn't respond, he just inspected the round wooden object in his hand, feeling the texture of the wood and the carvings at the base of the spoon shaped item. Most of the object was dull and rounded but the left hand side was thinner and sharper, not sharp enough to cut but it certainly wasn't as dull. The side looked like it was used for scraping, and it was... The thicker part of the "spoon" was hollowed out and wasn't as dull as the rest. Mika's thumb grazed over the carving at the base, feeling the R and K ingrained into the spoon. He hadn't seen a cuptol since the youth of his childhood.
He handed 8,500 Jenny to the merchant and walked away, cuptol stuffed in his pocket and a feeling of nostalgia overwhelming his heart.
———————

Mshika sat on the floor with his leg extended in a rather awkward position. His clumsy hands holding a cuptol much too offensively against his skin. He rubbed and scraped at his wet skin with it. Constantly splashing the soapy water in the bucket he used in hopes that it would relieve the itch on his skin. The cuptol hit the scale on his leg much too offensively and it caused him to yelp out in pain.

"Mommy! It hurts! How do you even use this thing!"

Gentle laughter came from inside the house. His mother stepped out, dark purple cloth lying loosely on top of her, her beige sandals clattering much less on the soft dirt outside. The warm sun brightened his mother's appearance, her green hair shining in reflection.
She kneeled on the ground with Mshika and reached her hand out to guide Mshika's hand holding the tool. Mshika watched impatiently, wanting the itch on his leg to go away. His mother guided the tip of the cuptol against the base of his leg, applying the lightest pressure and dragging upwards while maintaining a 30 degree angle.
The pesky scale on Mshika's leg was removed and the itch relieved.
Mshika sat amazed, quickly gripping the cuptol enrestly to use it against the rest of the scales on his legs. He mimicked the angle his mother had used but failed to be gentle with his skin. He quickly flinched when he was met with the pain of dragging the cuptol too harshly against his reddening skin. Though this time the scale had actually come off.
His mother only giggled and guided Mshika once more, teaching him the patience of taking care of his body. He'd wouldn't understand then though, the impatience of a child overriding the lessons his mother patiently tried to teach him.
That day Mshika had only learned that cuptols are painful to use.

——————

Mshika. A dead name buried in the ruins of the pytharia clan. One forgotten and unused. Former Mika, Mshika too complicated to pronounce for the people here, unknowing of a dead language.
Mika preferred 'Mika' anyways, his father named him Mshika. He forced himself to grow out of it, Mshika reminded him of the silence of his father every time he said his name, reminded him of the guilt and hatred he felt each time he saw blood splatters in their house, but also reminded him of the sweet careful words his mother used after it, her kind gentle tone always being mindful of the constant pain they both shared.

—————
R.K . Mika didn't know what region the family was from, pytharian regions were quite populated and rather large. He didn't think about it any further. Everyone was dead anyways...