𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲.

王国

────────────────────────────────

    "(Y/N)(L/N)," Delphine called the girl's name rather rigidly as her lips set into a thin line and her rather icy eyes narrowed into a look of dissatisfaction. "Due to your excellent performance yesterday that has thoroughly pleased His Majesty, you have been promoted to a middle-ranked maid. Congratulations."

    (Y/N) blinked.

    She hadn't been expecting that.

    Graciously taking the golden ribbon that Delphine handed her, she loosened the white one in her hair and slipped it into the pocket of her uniform before then replacing it. Most of the maids and staff that had traveled with her from Ushien almost couldn't believe how quickly—it literally only taking one day—she had ascended the ranks and had caught the attention of the King. Some whispered murmurs of pity and sympathy whiles others merely looked on in suspicion, wondering how she had been able to do what she did in such little time.

    "Anyways..." Delphine cleared her throat to stop incessant chatter and to gain everyone's attention again. "Firstly, we must address your room change and new roommates, secondly—"

    "Pardon my interruption, but why must I change rooms?" (Y/N) suddenly asked.

    Delphine blinked, flustered by the interruption whilst spluttering out, "Because it is proper protocol. The same ranked maids stay in the same rooms together. It has not been any different. What's more, your living quarters will be significantly better than the room you're staying in now, so the switch would highly benefit you."

"I don't need it," she held up her hand, flatly turning the woman's offer down.

Delphine exhaled.

Never before had she met a more stubborn individual, besides the King.

"If that's the case, then so be it," she affirmed, tapping her finger against the side of the clipboard in a bit of irritation. "Moving on to the next issue, it has been decided that from now on, you will be the one to handle His Majesty's pet wolf and bathe him. You will go straight to His Majesty's bedroom to retrieve Ronan, and then return him at the dining hall. From there, you will serve His Majesty breakfast and anything else he needs. After that, you will clean and replace his sheets, and clean the rest of his room."

Giving the woman a brief nod, waving away the maids who moved to help escort her, having already memorized the layout of the castle after wandering around the other day once all of her duties were completed, (Y/N) started to walk down the hall. As she then moved down the larger chamber hall, she began her trek up the spiraling staircase towards the wing where most of the royal suites were.

This is interesting.

I didn't think His Majesty would promote me so quickly just because I survived his little pet.

Maybe it's because so few do.

(Y/N) tilted her head.

Then again, maybe he was wondering why I didn't do anything or say anything when he killed a man right in front of me.

Oh, well.

Stopping at the most grand door of the hall, elaborate sequences carved into the dark wood, she gave a light knock and announced her presence. When no one gave her an answer after she repeated the process two more times, she entered the room. It looked like there were several windows within, but they were all covered by heavy velvet curtains colored a dark purple that shut out any light. Light fixtures were attached to the walls that cast eery shadows from its glow. Ornate couches and chairs were set up a little bit away from the main bed, the cushions plush and soft to the touch.

And then there was the bed.

An elaborate head rest stood front and center with multiple swooping designs of silver metal that complimented the dark blue cushion connected to it. Multiple pillows that were black and purple decorated the top of the bed, tassels of gold hanging from the ends that went well the golden threads woven into the sheets.

It was fit for a King.

The soft sound of something crackling caught (Y/N)'s attention after she was done marveling at the high quality of the room, finding a lit fireplace with leaping flames that ate away at the sparking wood that lay on the metal grate. Clasping her hands in front of her, she walked a bit closer to the fireplace that exuded warmth that seemed not to extend to the cold room beyond it. As if entranced by the jumping fire, she stepped forward even closer to it with her hand extended, her fingers barely about to brush against the heated flames before the door suddenly slammed open, effectively making her turn around and let her arm fall limply back at her side.

Duran entered the room in aggravation with Ronan at his side, the metal leash clinking with each step made.

He didn't notice (Y/N) at first.

He was too swept up in his own thoughts to do so, but when she cleared her throat to alert him to her presence, his form stilled and he slowly turned to meet her gaze.

He almost couldn't believe it.

It's... that maid.

The one from yesterday...

Did she really have the gall to intrude upon my room and stand there like that?

"Pardon me, Your Majesty," (Y/N) gave a low bow with her hands placed firmly against the skirt of her uniform. "I knocked, but no one answered, so I let myself in so I could take Ronan for his bath." She gestured to the wolf at his side before continuing, "However, if you would like me to come back another time, I will leave you be."

"Right... I did assign that task to you, didn't I?" Duran exhaled as he collapsed onto one of the couches, extending the chain towards (Y/N) and beckoning for her to grab it.

As she did so, he half expected for Ronan to revert back to his usual ways and lunge at her or try to bite her, but surprisingly, he obediently hung his head at her approach and followed her dutifully out the door. Rubbing his chin, his dark eyes lidded, Duran then craned his neck back so that he was now looking at the ceiling, having not expected such an odd and peculiar woman to be among the prisoners from a country like Ushien.

But it's quite exhilarating, no?

To think there was someone like that from Ushien...

Feeling his lips tilt upward into a dangerous smirk, Duran stood up and rang for the palace maids, five of them appearing not even thirty seconds later to help dress and bathe him. But his mind wasn't on his routine nor apparel.

(Y/N)...

What a strange maid...

⎡ 𝑻𝑶 𝑩𝑬 𝑪𝑶𝑵𝑻𝑰𝑵𝑼𝑬𝑫 ⎦