𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝘀𝗶𝘅.

王国

────────────────────────────────

    As soon as (Y/N) approached Duran with a tray holding his dinner, his dark eyes widened when seeing the long cut across her cheek. His gaze then went to her hand where a harsh mark was present against the once smooth (S/C) skin, feeling his lips twitch as an unidentifiable type of rage began to consume him entirely.

"(Y/N)..." he uttered softly, his fingers wrapping tightly around her wrist. "What the hell happened?"

"Just an accident, Sire."

"Do not give me such excuses," his scowl deepened while his hand clamped harsher around her arm. "Tell me exactly who did this to you. If you do not, I will personally interrogate every damn person in this castle until I find out who."

"Why?" She asked, her eyes blank.

Duran seemed taken aback by that, letting go of her with a violent blink of his eyes.

"I am only a maid, Your Majesty, so why go to all the trouble of finding someone who did something to me, a person of far lower status than your own?" She questioned as she placed his tray of food down delicately in front of him, the sleeves of her uniform riding up to reveal several more fresh marks. "If that is all, Your Majesty, may I be excused?"

"...you may."

Duran watched as (Y/N) bowed before exiting the large room, the click of her heels slowly fading away after the doors had closed behind her. It wasn't often that he had such moments of anger like he just did, but when something involved her, he couldn't help but react strongly every time, no matter the emotion. Tapping his finger against the table whilst chewing on the thumb of his other hand, not seeming to notice the other servants shift uncomfortably, he wondered why he was getting so worked up.

I shouldn't be, right?

She's just a maid, so I shouldn't be concerned.

But still...

He grit his teeth as his mind threw him back to yesterday when he had realized his feelings for (Y/N) went far deeper than he imagined, knowing that he had been yearning for some type of connection after he deposed of his father. But even then, he felt nothing—never mind love—for he who only ever focused on his duties instead of his son.

He didn't care for the throne.

He didn't care for any of it.

But when he realized how cruel his father was as a ruler, he knew he had to do something.