𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻.

王国

────────────────────────────────

    "Apologies for the wait, Your Majesty, but I have brought you the wine that you requested," (Y/N) said as she gave a low bow, then straightening so she could pour the liquid into Duran's outstretched glass, ignoring how his steady gaze never once left her form. "Pardon my asking, but would you prefer the bottle to stay here with you?"

"Of course," Duran smirked as he leaned back in his chair, as if pleased with himself. "Along with yourself, right?"

(Y/N) let out a breath.

"Of course, Your Majesty."

Just as she moved to step off the dias and stand at the bottom to wait for his orders if he needed anything, she faltered when he held up his hand. His smirk had dipped into a light frown, as if he couldn't believe what she was trying to do, gesturing with his finger for her to come closer. She barely moved forward, though, something that seemed to piss the man off. Letting out a huff of breath, he leaned forward and abruptly grabbed her arm to pull her forward so that she was standing right next to him.

"(Y/N)... don't you think it's wise to listen to your King when he asks for something?" Duran hummed as he tilted his head, staring out at the plethora of guests who were still dancing and laughing.

"I always heed your orders, Sire," she replied back in a stiff manner.

Her eyes narrowed, however.

Is this entertaining for him?

I don't understand his actions... and it's starting to really bother me for some reason.

As if something bad is going to happen.

Fuck.

"You may always heed my orders..." Duran began again as his gaze slid to the side of his eyes to look at her, the hues a sharp and dangerous black that seemed to burn a hole right through her. "...but your attitude is what's standing out the most, isn't it? Whenever you serve me, I feel as if you aren't putting your entire heart and soul into it. As your King, it's quite an aggravating experience, no?"

She didn't say anything.

Duran's brow raised at her lack of reaction.

How curious...

How curious indeed...

"Your Majesty?" A man with graying brown hair slicked back and a rather sharp mustache stepped forward to the man, his dark clothes as elegant as he looked. "Some of the women who could be potential bridal candidates are attending. Wouldn't it be in your favor to ask one of them to dance?"

"Mr. Reinher..." Duran exhaled in annoyance, his expression twitching into one of annoyance. "I've told you this over and over again, haven't I? I have no interest in getting married at this moment."

"Yes, but the Cabinet is getting most impatient," the man introduced as Mr. Reinher explained.

(Y/N) perked up at that.

The Cabinet?

Is he talking about the chancellors? Or the parliament that parallels the government? Don't they usually deal directly with legislative matters concerning the country?

Why are they pressuring the King about marriage?

Or...

Are they trying to make a political alliance?

"Mr. Reinher..." Duran rubbed his brow with clear vexation from the other man's words, looking as if ready to draw his sword right then and there and run him through, refraining, however, since he was a rather loyal individual despite his King's bloody past. "Talk to me about those damn geezers again... talk to me about those prissy women again... and I will slice off your tongue and force you to eat it. Do you really want that, Mr. Reinher?"

    Mr. Reinher was loyal.

    But that doesn't mean he was above receiving threats from Duran.

    And Mr. Reinher, seemingly used to such threats, merely exhaled softly through his nose before giving a low bow and walking away—(Y/N) hypothesized it was to either apologize to the men of the Cabinet, or to the women who were probably eager to marry Duran for his fortune and influence. She knew that political alliances through marriage were almost never out of love, and for some reason, she couldn't imagine a man like Duran ever loving someone like other couples she had seen before.

    "Those damn fuckers are probably quite comfortable with their positions since I haven't done anything to threaten their power," Duran growled, his fingers clenching into fists. "Maybe it's about time that I have them replaced."

    He then glanced towards (Y/N).

    She didn't seem to be at all interested in his conversation, but from the subtle twitch of her fingers, he could tell that she had been listening.

    He scoffed.

    How amusing...

    "Say, (Y/N)..." he murmured, waiting until she met his eyes before continuing. "Do you want to know why I am so against marriage to one of the women present here? Is that why you've been eavesdropping on my conversations?"

    "I would never dare eavesdrop," she replied, her stare not wavering in the slightest.

    "Is that so?"

    "Of course, Your Majesty," she placed her free hand against her chest to have her sincerity displayed. "And to move from my spot would disobey the last orders you gave me."

    "That's right," Duran looked satisfied with her answer as he faced the dance hall again. "You learn quickly, don't you?"

    She grit her teeth.

    It's as if he's trying to irritate me...

    "But to satisfy your curiosity, those women are all daughters of rulers who only are thinking about the resources that my country could provide for them," he murmured, tapping a finger against his cheek as his gaze roved over the people who chatted away without a care. "And what's more... their loyalty to anyone or anything other than themselves is disgustingly low. I have no use for people like that."

    (Y/N) stared at him.

    Interesting...

    "This may be stepping over a line, but if you despise such people, why hold a ball for 'peace' like this, Sire?" She tilted her head.

   "Exactly for that reason," he snickered. "It may not look like it, but all other thirty-one countries against Ophnelia would be a rather difficult battle to win." At his words practically dripping with sarcasm, he waved his hand in a rather nonchalant way and continued, "So to hold such meaningless balls like this one is the best way to ensure such wars will never come."

    "Thank you for answering my question, Your Majesty," (Y/N) bowed her head.

    "Hm..." Duran merely hummed

    And with that, servant and King fell silent as they watched the crowd of nobles drinking and dancing the night away, everything dripping in elegance not hiding the fact of their arrogance.

    An arrogance that did well to keep silent.

⎡ 𝑻𝑶 𝑩𝑬 𝑪𝑶𝑵𝑻𝑰𝑵𝑼𝑬𝑫 ⎦