𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲.

王国

────────────────────────────────

    (Y/N) stopped just inside her room, the emptiness of it something still so unusual to her. And after her tense meeting with Duran, she wasn't sure if she really wanted to be alone that night, now walking down the halls towards the maid quarters and a more familiar space.

    "(Y/N)?" Mari was shocked by her appearance after opening the door upon hearing a knock.

    "(Y/N)?" Juliya moved Mari over a bit so she could see the girl, her green eyes lighting up upon catching sight of her. "Oh, it's good to see you! But... what are you doing here so late?"

    "I didn't want to be alone."

    "Did something happen?" Mari asked with furrowed brows, quick to pick up on her mood.

    "His Majesty is displeased with me for something, and I do not know what it is," she sighed, pressing a hand to her forehead as she gratefully stepped inside and sat down on one of their beds with the other two quickly following suite on either side of her. "Earlier in his office, something about him seemed very... dangerous."

    Juliya and Mari exchanged a glance.

    They wanted to comfort their friend, but it was hard to do so when the matter at hand concerned the King, a situation that was difficult no matter the context.

    "You may have forgotten since things have been calm around here... but His Majesty is a ruthless individual," Juliya lowered her eyes to the bed sheet that she was fiddling with in her hand, a deep sense of sadness befalling her features. "You and I witnessed first hand his cutthroat and brutal ways when dealing with those that pose as a threat to him. No matter what, you are correct to say that he is a dangerous individual."

    "So you're saying...?"

    "She's saying this behavior is normal, at least for His Majesty," Mari answered for Juliya, a sympathetic smile on her lips as she twisted a strand of her blonde hair around. "I've been here a bit longer than you guys, so I know."

    "I see..." (Y/N) trailed off.

    I know that this behavior of his is normal.

    If anything, his rather placated attitude towards me so far has been the most abnormal.

    But something about the whole situation is bothering me, and no matter how I try to erase it from my mind, I can't.

    Bidding the two goodbye, she walked back to her room and tried to get to sleep. Unfortunately, all she did that night was toss and turn, Duran's piercing gaze always coming forth from the back of her memories to remind her of what was wrong—and to remind her of why she shouldn't rest. The next day, she moved sluggishly through her tasks, most everyone realizing her lack of sleep from that and the dark circles around her eyes. They were prominent, even against her (S/C) skin, so it was all the more noticeable.

    Duran didn't say anything, though.

    He barely seemed to look at her.

    Acting as if nothing had happened was fine with her if it was fine for him, so that's how it went.

    But it didn't last.

    After a week—and a week of barely enough sleep—(Y/N) was finally given a bit of free time while Duran spent time with one of the bridal candidates, a rather serious schedule change having occurred to incorporate such meetings. Collapsing onto one of the benches in the garden, too tired to walk back to her room after being dismissed, she exhaled softly.

    What is wrong with me?

    Do I feel guilty?

    No...

    Maybe I'm just working myself too hard, and I'm just too exhausted to even fall asleep.

    Does that even make sense?

    Flopping over and shading her eyes from the sun with her arm, she tried to soak in the warm rays in hopes that she would be able to doze a little. If just for a second, she wanted to fall asleep, craving that sweet relief of rest and relaxation.

    But her break was quickly cut short.

    "Hey! You, maid! What in the world do you think you are doing, lying there like that?"

    (Y/N) wanted to groan.

    But she recognized the voice.

    "Greetings, Your Highness' and Ladies," she stood up and gave a low curtsy, wobbling ever so slightly due to her exhaustion.

    Helena and Vivienne stood before her, the latter having spoken with a striking glare on her face that made her green eyes sharpen like hard emeralds. But even with such a scowl, she looked beautiful. Glancing behind them, (Y/N) saw three more women whose names she had forgotten. Considering there were a total of twenty bridal candidates, this was natural, she having only remembered a few which included Helena, Vivienne, and Zoha, the first three that had been introduced.

    "I apologize for my unsightly appearance," (Y/N) continued, not nothing to look up in hopes they would leave her alone. "Please, forgive me."

    Vivienne arched her brow.

    And then she smirked.

    "Very well, then," she hummed, fingering the handle of her knife that she still had strapped to her thigh, her dress that showed her legs being much like the one she wore when introduced that first day. "We'll forgive you. That is, if you serve of us during our tea time."

    (Y/N) wanted to groan again.

    "Of course, Your Highness. It would be my absolute pleasure to assist you."

    Goddammit.

    After making a quick stop at the kitchen, (Y/N) rolled a cart of tea and treats out to the rather spacious gazebo where a round table was placed that the four ladies were able to sit at, their laughter ringing in her ears. Setting down their tea cups and the plate of snacks that they ordered, she was just about to leave when the clattering of a utensil on the floor made her falter.

    "Oh, dear," Vivienne snickered as she tucked a lock of her fiery hair behind her ear, Helena and the two other girls laughing with her. "Would you mind picking that up, please?"

    "Of course, Your Highness."

    But as (Y/N) lowered to grab the utensil, she inhaled sharply when Vivienne slammed her heel down onto her hand.

    Fuck!

    "Apologies, I thought I saw a spider on your hand," she simpered, making (Y/N)'s blood boil.

    "I-It's fine, Your Highness," she spat out, ripping her hand out from under the woman's foot so she wouldn't have to be crouching any more. "Here, your fork. If you do not need anything else, I will be taking my leave, please enjoy yourselves."

    "How rude!" Vivienne grabbed (Y/N) by her arm and yanked her back, emerald eyes blazing. "I said to serve us, and yet you try and leave? How ignorant."

    Helena laughed.

    "You know..." Vivienne hummed as she clasped her hands on (Y/N)'s chin to pull her closer, her crimson red nails digging into her flesh, her knife then pulled out with its edge pressed hard enough against her cheek to draw a bead of blood. "...you're quite a pretty thing, aren't you? I like the pretty ones since they scream the most."

    (Y/N) stared into Vivienne's eyes.

    This bitch.

⎡ 𝑻𝑶 𝑩𝑬 𝑪𝑶𝑵𝑻𝑰𝑵𝑼𝑬𝑫 ⎦