𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁.

王国

────────────────────────────────

    "(Y/N), what the hell happened!?" Mari pulled said girl aside the next day when she was finally able to grab a hold of her, Juliya beside her with clear worry in her emerald gaze. "I heard something happened to some of the noble ladies! Were they really attacked by bandits!? And... what happened to your face!?"

(Y/N) jerked her head away from the other's touch when her fingers brushed against her cheek.

Mari stepped back, hurt.

"Sorry... I don't think I can do this right now..." she murmured, giving a small bow of her head before walking away, looking lost in a daze more so than anything.

This only worried her two friends more.

"Something happened yesterday, I know it..." Mari mumbled, her brows furrowing whilst her pink eyes narrowed as she contemplated the theories running through her mind. "And I don't believe those women got attacked by bandits, either. But what could the other cause be that has (Y/N) so shaken? I've never seen her like this before. Have you?"

Juliya shook her head, exclaiming, "Even when being taken from Ushien... she was calm."

"So this doesn't make sense..."

"One thing at a time," Juliya motioned for Mari to pay attention to her, tucking a lock of her brown hair behind her ear. "I know you're worried about (Y/N)... but I need your help with that thing."

"I know, I know," Mari shushed her, glancing around fervently to make sure no one was around. "Okay, so this is what I learned..."

As the two maids talked, trying to escape the spiderweb that they were trapped in, (Y/N) didn't seem to understand the urgency to leave said web. In fact, she felt no desire to escape at all. Despite Duran killing so many people in front of her, despite him forcing her from her country to serve him as a maid, and despite whatever threats that he may have made to her in the past, she felt nothing.

It was as if she were a machine.

No desire.

No want.

No need.

Just work.

    And as she rounded the side of the palace to the front, she was able to spot Zoha and the rest of the noble ladies loading up their carriages to return to their countries. She also noticed funeral carriages that would carry the cremated bodies of the deceased back as well. She watched all of this happen, and almost as if fate were messing with her, Zoha turned her head just right to meet her eyes.