seventeen.

017 ⎯⎯⎯ alone.

    I laugh at Yasopp's joke as I follow him through the ship to the deck. We place down the barrels we were lugging together, Shanks waving me over.

   I quickly say goodbye and make my way over to the redhead who was seated on the bow.

   I met Shanks when I was around three. We ran into each other and he immediately insisted I call him uncle. My dad hated the idea but it's just stuck. We don't quite get to see each other often. Most of our visits are happy accidents.

   A while ago I saw him for the first time without his hat. He told me he had given it away. I was a little hurt he didn't give it to me but my dad probably would've skinned him if he did.

   He told me he had given it to the future king of the pirates.

   He places a hand on my shoulder, "it's been good hanging out with you these past few days kiddo."

   I grin, "yeah, it has."

   He sighs, "I'm afraid it's time for us to go though. There's this little island I want to visit. It has a town on it called Foosha. I heard they've got some lovely people."

   My face falls. "You're leaving already?"

   "I think it'd be nice if you came with us." He places his hat on my head, grinning.

   "Really?!"

   "It's up to your dad."

   I bounce on my toes, "I'll go ask him right now! I'm sure he'll say yes!"

   I run off, glitching in and out of crowds of people to make my journey home faster. When I make it to our ship I find my dad waiting for me, a scowl on his face.

   "Where've you been, you're late for training," he complains.

   "Dad, Uncle- I mean Shanks just invited me to go with him to Fooshee! Can I go??"

   "Don't be ridiculous, I can't trust him with you," he turns, boarding the ship.

   I follow, "I'm 15 I'll be fine! You can come with us!"

   "I said no Sora."

   "But why! We never get to explore! It's always training, fighting and sailing! I just-"

   "My answer is final."

   "I don't understand! Why do we always have to be alone-"

   "Enough!" he turns to me, his brows drawn, "You asked and I answered. That is the end of it."

   I know I should leave it. I should just storm off to my room and slam the door. Cry about it then come out for dinner in a few hours.

   But I don't.

   "What is wrong with you?! What is with your incessant need to always be alone and miserable!" I glitch slightly, "I don't wanna not have friends anymore! I'm so sick and tired of just being with you all the time!"

   His face falls, though just for a moment, before hardening, "then leave. Take your stuff and go."

   My eyes widen.

   Is he serious?

   We stare at each other for a moment.

   The sick feeling in my stomach twists into annoyance and hatred as I glare at him. All he ever does is bash me for not being as good as him. I have to do this and act like that.

   I'm done.

   "Fine. I will."

* * *

   "Are you sure you're alright?"

   I nod, setting down my bag and sword. "I'm just gonna stay here the night and go back in the morning. It's fine."

   Shanks nods, "well you know we're always welcome. I'm sure everything will be alright."

   And I thought it would be too. That morning I thought everything would be okay.

   "Are you sure you don't want us to wait for you?"

   I grin, "knowing my dad that would probably make things worse. You guys can go ahead. I'll see you next time."

   Shanks pulls me into his chest. "Good luck kiddo."

   I smile, waving to the rest of his crew as I pull away. I make my way down the dock with my things counting until I reach our port.

   I look up.

   Our boat's gone.

   I chuckle, this has got to be a joke.

   He couldn't have left me. He wouldn't.

   I walk the length of the marina three times before stopping at our port again. This has got to be a mistake. He wouldn't leave his daughter, would he?

   I drop my bag, running forward. "Dad! Dad?!"

   He's nowhere to be found. I quickly run down the dock back to Shanks port only to find them sailing away. Too far to reach.

   Tears roll down my cheeks.

   What do I do?

   What can I do?

   I sink to the floor and cry into my hands. I cry for what feels like hours before I finally feel strong enough to stand and walk back to my bag.

   When I get there all my belongings have disappeared. All I have is the sword on my back and the folded up photo in my pocket.

   I'm alone.