twenty two.

022 ⎯⎯⎯ friend or foe.

   Usopp lets out a dry chuckle, "okay, that went about as bad as it could. Soooo, back to the boat before the fishmen find us? Sail the hell out of here?"

   "There's something else going on here," Sanji shakes his head.

   "I think she was very clear she wants us to leave," Zoro shrugs.

   "You don't know women, they never say what they mean-"

   "Tell me again why the cook gets a say?"

   "Don't you guys get it? She's a bad guy!"

   I glare at the boys, "shut up."

   They all go silent.

   I turn back to Luffy, "what do you wanna do?"

   "Hey!" He starts to march over to the man from earlier, "who was that girl? The one with the cool hair?"

   "Who's asking?"

   "I'm Monkey D. Luffy and I'm a pirate-"

   "Hunter," I quickly add, nudging Luffy for his idiocy.

   Zoro nods, "we're pirate hunters, here to collect Arlong's bounty."

   He looks skeptical, "you? I've seen men twice your size with twice your number go into Arlong Park. None of them ever came back."

   "Twice the size of my sword too, right?" I shrug, "plus you clearly haven't met us yet."

   Luffy smiles, "we just want to talk to her."

   "Trust me, you don't." He sighs, "but if it'll get you out of my town, try the house down that road. On the edge of the tangerine grove."

* * *

   The door flies open without warning, the blue haired girl from earlier standing there with a shot gun. "Turn around and leave. Now."

   I haven't been this annoyed since meeting Nami.

   "Hey, I saw you earlier," Luffy smiles, "think maybe you and I have something in common."

   She cocks her gun, "I've got the gun and you're standing in front of it. What could we possibly have in common?"

   I grin.

   In the blink of an eye I'm behind her, the shotgun now poking the back of her head as I hold it with one hand, using the other to tap her on the shoulder.

   "How about now?"

   I can only imagine her expression.

   Luffy gives me a look and I lower the gun, rolling my eyes. The girl turns to be with a glare, snatching her gun back. "How did you do that?!"

   I shrug, "nice place. It's cute."

   "Let's start with Nami," Luffy starts again, "seems you know her very well."

   "She's a thief," she spits, "with no conscience and when there's no more left to take, she leaves and doesn't turn back."

   I nod, "sounds about right."

   Sanji shoots me a look and I shrug.

   "Nami's part of our crew. She's our friend!"

   "My sister doesn't have any friends, the sooner you guys realize that the better."

   There's an interesting development.

   "Sisters? Both as beautiful as each other," Snaji Smikrs.

   "Give it up," Zoro rolls his eyes.

   "I can tell she really did a number on you guys. You're not special. And I can't help you."

   "How about a meal?" Sanji offers.

   "What?"

   "In exchange of sorts, for your valuable time and information."

   "You cook?" she scoffs.

   "He's a waiter."

   "He's a waiter."

   "He's the best cook in the east blue! You ain't never tasted anything better in your life, Usopp's word!"

   I peer over the girls shoulder to glare at him.

   "Ain't got much to cook with."

   "You'd be surprised how much I can make with very little ingredients. What do you say? A little dinner a little conversation?

   "Fine. But there'd better be dessert."

   She turns around, glaring at me. I step to teh side and allow her to enter.

* * *

   "So?"

   I glance at Zoro as I change his bandages.

   I shift my eyes back down to his torso, focusing on my work. "So what?"

   "About Nami? What do you think?"

   I sigh, "I don't know. I... It wasn't terrible having her around. I guess she was useful sometimes. But if she's made her choice then its done."

   "And if it was you?"

   I look back up at him, "what?"

   "When you told us your father was Mihawk, we didn't leave you."

   "Because I didn't want to leave-"

   "You think she did?"

   I purse my lips, tying off the last bandage.

   He's right.

   "Nami!"

   At the sound of the voice I jump up, racing to the doorway. Luffy, Usopp, and Sanji are sprinting through the grove, chasing someone.

   I waste no time, taking off after them. I stop short beside Sanji as I see Luffy stand next to someone crouched on the ground.

   "Arlong! Arlong!"

   It's Nami.

   And she's stabbing herself.

   Over and over.

   He places his hat gently on her head and she stops. For a moment all I can hear are the cicadas. Then I hear a whisper, "of course I will."

   "Of course I will!"

   Luffy turns to face us, "let's go!"

   My eyes find Nami's.

   She's crying.

   I purse my lips, "right!"

   "Guys," Usopp turns, "the village!"