eighteen.

018 ⎯⎯⎯ comfort.

   "We need more towels!"

   "We need a doctor!"

   "Last I checked we don't have one!"

   "No shit!"

   The voices of my friends blur together as I stare at the giant gash going across Zoro's chest. This is exactly what I knew would happen. I knew he would lose.

   I knew he would-

   Why do I care?

   I've known this man for less than a month. For half that time we've been bickering. He's a musclehead with a drinking problem and no emotional awareness.

   And he's my friend.

   "Sora?"

   I look up.

   It's been a few hours since Sanji and Zeff. He was moved to my room and I've been watching the hammock sway back and forth ever since.

   "Sora?"

   At the sound of my name (again) I look up towards the door, Sanji standing there. He gives me a little smirk, holding out a plate to me.

   "Brought you something," he takes a seat next to me, "thought you might be hungry."

   I give him a small smile, taking the plate. The meal looks delicious but the sight of it makes my stomach swirl. I haven't felt this weak in ages.

   Why am I being like this?

   "Not hungry?" Sanji takes the plate back.

   "I'm sorry," I swallow, "it looks delicious I just can't eat it."

   He nods and shrugs his shoulders, "you seem different. I know I don't really know you but you seemed a bit meaner before. A bit tougher."

   I look over at Zoro's body, "yeah...yeah i did."

   I can feel Sanji's eyes on me.

   He has a weirdly comforting presence. I don't feel annoyed around him like with Nami or Usopp. Maybe because he has a little more tact.

   "Were you two close?"

   I shake my head, the lump in my throat growing, "I've known him for a few weeks. He's pretty annoying actually, never listens. And he gets lost easily. And-"

   Sanji chuckles, "sounds like you were."

   I glance over at him.

   "Yeah, maybe we were."

   The longer I sit next to Sanji, the more the knot in my throat grows.

   "I just..." my voice trembles, "I don't get attached to people. I should've left this ragtag crew a long time ago I don't know-"

   "Maybe it's because you've finally found the right people."

   I bite my lip, "and now one of them is dying in my bed."

   A tear rolls down my cheek, "I-"

   "Luffy! Luffy!"

   Me and Sanji stand, making our way out of the room into the kitchen where Nami, Usopp, and Luffy are.

   "What's going on?" I ask.

   "The Arlong pirates are at Baratie, we have to leave now."

   "What? Why? Why should we leave?" Luffy asks, confused.

   He obviously has never heard of these guys before.

   "Because they're looking for you-"

   "Me?"

   "And the map. Those fishman will tear this place apart if Zef doesn't turn us over-"

   Sanji pushes past me and Luffy turns to him, "where are you going?"

   "If Baratie's in danger, I need to be there."

   I grab his sleeve, "I'll go with you!"

   I don't know why I feel this sudden impulse to help them. But they saved Zoro, it's the least I could do.

   "Are you deaf? We need to run."

   Nami's voice grates my ears again and I turn around, "then run Nami!"

   "I'm with Nami on this one, I'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers or scales-" Usopp butts in.

   I roll my eyes, "cause you're a coward!"

   "I'm not running, I'm going to protect this place."

   "This isn't your fight, why would you do that?"

   "You fed us!"

   Of course Luffy would put everything on the line for a reason as simple as that.

   "Look I know this crew," Nami shakes her head, "their captain Arlong has the highest bounty in all of the east blue. You do not want to mess with him."

   How does she know them?

   "It sounds like he messed with us first," Luffy shrugs.

   "Luffy, please." she begs.

   "I can't let innocent people get hurt because of me. If those fishmen guys want a fight, we're gonna give them one," he turns back to Nami, "you stay with the ship and protect the map. It's gonna be safe with you."