Chapter 8: Parting of ways

Alastor chuckles: "We're getting quite sentimental with each other, aren't we?"
Bill shudders: "I'm not used to it either."

Bill thinks about what happened but then asks him: "So how are you feeling now since your arch nemesis is defeated?"
Alastor's eyes lit up and with his right hand he's forming a fist: "Oh Bill, I'm feeling great! The only thing still bothering me though is the deal I'm still under. You had promised me to free me off the leash!"

Bill remembers: "Oh yeah! We had so much to do, I kinda... forgot about it. Sorry. Well..."
Bill snaps his fingers.

A super bright green flash of light appeared all around Alastar. First, on his mouth and chest. But then also on his entire face and the green light surrounded his whole body. Bill could only watch in intrigue and anticipation.
The process was taking a while.

Suddenly, it looked as if whoever had Alastor on their leash tried to make the leash stop from breaking. Once Bill noticed that, he concentrated deeply, using his powers to counterback the attempts of whoever.

Finally, Alastor was let go. The green light faded. And for the first time since Bill met Alastor, Alastor isn't smiling anyone. Not because he was upset. Because he wasn't. Rather the opposite really. He was happy. He was finally free.

Bill was confused: "What's wrong? Why aren't you smiling?"
Alastor: "It wasn't my choice to smile every second. I was forced to. It was part of the deal. My mouth was literally stitched to a constant, ever-lasting smile. Now, I'm finally free. I don't have to smile anymore. But since it's been so long I've not smiled, my mouth is aching like hell."

Only now, Bill realised that Alastor's facial features looked much more natural and relaxed now. Not so forcingly intimidating, cunning, calculating face & ever-deceivingly smiley.

Bill was still taken aback by the rather big change though: "You are... still the same person though, right? The Alastor who I.... I'm fond of? Or are you- are you a completely diff-."

Alastor gave him a warm smile: "It's still me, dear. Same old Alastor. Just more powerful now since you have clipped my wings!"
Bill was still careful: "Are you sure? You seem... so different."

Alastor shrugs it off: "Give it some time. You'll just need some time to get used to see my face without a forced, insane smile on it."
Bill looked at him with doubts.

Alastor scoffed: "Don't tell me you only liked me because of my ever-lasting and insane smile, dear."
Bill whispered in a defeated tone: "But... it's part of who you are."

Alastor whispered back: "Now hold back, okay? We've known each other for two weeks now. Who are you to tell me who I am and who I am not, hmmm?"
Bill floated away: "Whatever."

Alastor didn't wanna lose his friend: "Hey! Stop being idiotic! It's still me! Just without a smile. Fuckkk!"
Bill: "You don't swear."

Alastor hurries behind him, unwilling to let him go: "Indeedy, I rarely do. I just do when I lose my composure. Please don't leave me over this. It's just a fucking smile!"
Bill: "This isn't you."

Alastor: "Well... what do you know about that? You actually barely know me."
Bill: "Bye."
Alastor shrieks desperately: "No!"
Bill disappears in thin air.

Alastor quickly got into his usual composure again, feeling silly for throwing a fit like this. He doesn't need Bill. Since Bill clipped his wings, he could finally pull the strings!

Time skip to 2 weeks later:

"Hell is finally mine!", Alastor hummed satisfied. One by one, he had defeated all the other overlords. All gone. He blinks annoyedly: "Well... almost."

There was still one huge obstactles. Well, 2 obstacles, in fact: Lucifer and Charlie. But apart from that, he managed to trick and defeat every overlord of Hell. It was a great feeling to own so many once-powerful souls, Alastor thought. He was more powerful than ever now.

But ever since Bill denied that Alastor was still Alastor, Alastor hasn't seen Bill again. Alastor doesn't wanna admit it but he missed his triangular friend very much. Annoyingly much. It was quite distracting to Alastor. He is wondering what Bill has been even up to. And whether he missed him too.

Alastor thinks:""He probably doesn't miss me. Otherwise, he would have showed up to check on me.""

Being not an expert on feelings, he decided to have a chat with his good friend Rosie. Maybe she could help clear some things up. It has been a while since he has been to Cannibal Town the last time, so he might as well go anyway.

Time skip 1 hour later:

He walked to Cannibal Town, spotting Rosie pretty easily.
As she noticed him, she cheered up noticeably and joyfully greated him: "Oh Al, old friend. What a pleasure to finally see you again! You're looking great, Al! You're looking more relaxed and not so much sinister anymore." She hugs him.

He hugs her back: "I'm delighted to see you too, Rosie. You're looking good as always! Could we have a private chat now? I would very much like your advice on... a personal matter."

Rosie's surprise was written over her face: "You would... like my advice on a... personal matter? Al, I must say, this is very unusual for you. But sure, let's enter my chambers. We can chat there!"

They silently walked to the chambers.
Rosie took a look at Alastor who has gotten unusally shy.
Rosie gives Alastor a welcoming, comforting, caring look: "Don't keep me on my toes! You know you can talk to me about anything, dear."

Alastor tries to express his feelings and thoughts: "So few weeks ago, I met a triangular demon. He's unimaginably powerful. He wanted me as his friend and ally. He took down Hell, he let me take down the V's on my own, then he freed me off my leash. So now I don't have to put up with a stitched, forced smile anymore but he was upset about the absence of my smile. He felt as if it wasn't me anymore. He didn't seem to come to terms with the fact that the cunning, ever-lasting, deceiving smile isn't who I naturally am. But he only knew me like this. Anyway, ever since then I haven't seen him again. I've gained a lot of power since then. I took down all the other overlords. I'm supposed to be happy. It's almost all I've wanted for decades. But... instead... I'm feeling empty. A pinch of sadness. So much that it's feeling as if my... heart is aching. Even though my actual heart isn't aching but it feels as if it was. Ugh I'm not making any sense. I'm sorry for wasting your time."

Rosie: "I thought you were an ace in the hole."
Alastor gave her a very confused look: "A ...- what now?"

She gave him a sweet look: "Oh Al, are you in love with him?"
Alastor gasped: "In love with him?! IN LOVE WITH HIM?! That's NONSENSE!"'

Rosie: "Sorry. My bad. Do you... love him in a platonic way then? I mean there can not be many causes why you're feeling heartbroken about his absence. You might not want to admit it but-"
Alastor yells: "Stop it!"

Rosie remains silent and waited for him to calm down.
Alastor slowly calms down: "I'm sorry I've lost my composure. It's just... difficult for me to come to terms with it. The way I feel about Bill is so foreign to me. It's very... confusing."

Rosie gives him an encouraging look: "I  understand, dear. This is very unlike you. But acceptance is the first step. Tell me, do you wish to see him again?"

Alastor doesn't even hide it anymore towards Rosie: "Oh, more than anything."
Rosie gives him a reassuring look: "That's indeed love."

Alastor scoffs: "I'm not an expert on this but can you really love someone in such a short time?"
Rosie: "It depends on the person. If the person is the one for you, they win over your heart quicker than anything."