Chapter 15: Intervention

A/N: I'm gonna introduce a made-up character by me in this chapter. The character called "Joseph" appearing in this chapter isn't a character of any fandom.
I just wanted to clear this up to avoid any confusion and such. I hope you'll enjoy the chapter!

Timeskip 3 weeks:

Alastor was being on a walk through Hell to see the tortured demons himself.
It filled him with great joy seeing that all the sinners got what they deserved in Hell.

Suddenly, he heard one of the sinners cry out: "Please help me! I'm afraid there must have been a mistake. I don't belong here! I've been good all my life!"

Alastor just snickered sinisterly: "My dear, if you indeed would have been good all your life, you surely wouldn't have ended up right here in Hell, would you?"

The demon panted under excruciating pain: "There must have been a mistake! I.... I didn't even die! I don't... I don't know how I got here."

Alastor humms: "I'm very tempted to just say 'not my problem' but if you actually turned out to be innocent, that would change matters. You see, I might be a cannibalistic serial killer but I don't torture or kill innocent people. Can you prove you're innocent?"

The demon shrugs: "I don't know? Do you maybe have files about all of humankind and whenever they sin or anything like that?"

Alastor thinks for a moment: "I'm not sure actually. We've never needed to access such data before. But sure, I'll have a look around. What's your name?"

The demon whispers: "My name is Joseph."
Just as Joseph finished saying that, he just disappeared into thin air.

Alastor just looked around but Joseph was nowhere to be seen. Just gone. As if he never had been there in the first place. This was a very rare moment of Alastor being absolutely dumbfounded. He just looked around in sheer confusion. He decided to head back to the palace and to talk to Bill about it.

Alastor arrived back in Bill's palace.

Bill was surprised: "Back so early already? Are you already bored of seeing the tortured faces of sinners?"

Alastor tried explaining: "Something... peculiar has happened."

Bill sighes: "All the time, weird stuff happens because of my waves of weirdness. So don't worry. Whatever you saw, it probably was a product of the weirdness I had brought here with me."

Alastor tried explaining it anyway.
Bill humms: "Indeed that doesn't sound like something my weirdness would do. Maybe with taking over Hell, we've got some... unwanted attention of some kind of divine being I don't happen to know about... yet?"

Alastor: "Is it possible he wanted to reassess and test how I would react to a display of injustice?"

Bill: "I don't know, Al. This whole thing doesn't sound like good news to me. Maybe it's just nothing, a hallucination, a very thing my weirdness did or we obtained the attention of someone mighty I don't know. Ugh, I hate that feeling! Never you can rule a world forevermore. Sooner or later... something or someone is bound to take it away from you."

Alastor whispers in a serious tone: "Whatever happens, I won't leave your side, Bill."
Bill floats to Alastor, giving him a hug: "I'll keep you safe, dear."

Suddenly, the pyramid was shaking. An invisible force started pulling it down to the ground of Hell. The impact was pretty hard. Alastor was knocked out and Bill was still floating slightly above the ground just to see his once-mighty pyramid in shambles.

Bill turns into his big, angry form, his voice distorting: "Whoever did this... will not survive my attack to tell the tale."

An indescribable being appeared right in front of Bill: "Oh Cipher, even youuu aren't mighty enough to stop me."

Bill scoffs: "You can't be that mighty. I haven't even heard of you!"

The being replies: "It is not too smart to draw too much attention to oneself. More and more beings are informed about your existence, your powers and goals. And whether they would survive a fight if they ever felt like intervening your plans."

Bill felt slightly scared as it indeed sounded like he might be talking to a much mightier being than himself: "What is your name though? And what exactly are you? Why are you interfering with my plans?"

The being replies almost as silent as a whisper: "I always introduce myself as 'Joseph'. And before you ask, no it isn't my real name. If I were to reveal my real name, you would lose your sanity."

Bill chuckles: "Bold of you to assume I ever had something like sanity in the first place."

Joseph chuckles back: "Believe me Cipher, you're still and always have been sane. Well... somewhat sane. You don't know what real madness is."

Bill narrows his eye: "I think we have majorly different interpretations of madness and sanity. But anyway, could you tell me why you are here?"

Alastor was gaining consciousness again. He was looking around, giving an annoyed look once he recognised Joseph even though he now didn't look like a demon anymore: "Ugh it's you again."

Joseph smirks: "Pleasure to meet you again, Alastor. Finally you're being among us too. Took you long enough."

Bill: "Don't be too hard on him. He only is a mere mortal."

Alastor shoots him a not so friendly look while raising one of his eyebrows as if he was a bit offended: "Only a mere mortal?"

Bill: "Well forgive me dear for stating mere facts. Now is not the time to have one of our petty arguments."

Joseph: "Indeed. I've intervened because firstly, you've become too powerful. Secondly, you defeated the rightful ruler of Hell. He was never meant to be replaced by anyone. Apart from his heir. Thirdly, you two were definitely not meant to rule Hell. Together. Let alone for you two to even meet. And to... develop platonic and then romantic feelings for each other? Also, I expected better from you Cipher than to indulge in feelings. Feelings are only for foolish mortals. You two were never meant to meet at all!"

Alastor: "So what? Are you going to rewrite time and make us never meet?"

Joseph: "I could. But there's also another possibility."