Chapter Three

Branson Williams

School's boring, and I don't have many friends there. My best friend, Dylan is in my grade. But we don't have any classes together. I make friends easily, but I haven't been trying since I've been in my head about this whole mating thing.

I worry I hurt my sister's feelings. I never want to on purpose, but I think I did. I'm in my last period of the day, and i'm flipping through my notes for the class, studying. A girl with red curly hair sits next to me with a smile. "Hey"

I've seen her around the pack house before, and from her scent I know she's a wolf. "Hey" I murmured. I can't remember her name for the life of me.

"I'm Harper '' she gives me a small smile. She has dark brown eyes.

"Branson" i nod, and she smiles

"I know your sister, Layla" she leans closer "Beta" she wiggles her dark browns, making me smile.

"Lucky you, she's a character"

"She's a sweetheart."

"She is," I nod.

"Anyways, I have first and second period with you too. Thought maybe since we're.. The same maybe we can be friends?" she whispers the last part, likely referring to us being wolves. We're allowed to interact with humans, but it's better if we keep our distance.

We don't want to wrap them in our lives, unless we absolutely have too.

"Yeah" i nod again "That would be great"

"Can you get Xan for dinner?" Dad asks, as he sets the table. I murmur my response, and head up the stairs and go to Xan's room. Knocking on the door, I pushed it open. He's laying in the dark, staring at his ceiling.

My heart stutters, and I take a slow step into his room. "Hey man" I mumble, slowly coming closer. "It's dinner time"

He turns to his wall, not responding. My heart sinks. This is the beginning of his down days. "Xan?'' I keep my voice gentle, but he doesn't move. So I slowly slip out, and make my way downstairs. 

"Where's your brother?" Pops asks, as soon as I enter the kitchen. Dad is cleaning up something, and I give a pathetic smile.

"It's uh. It's starting again "I murmur, and dad stops , his head falling to his chest as he sucks in a deep breath. It puts dad through a lot, mentally. Especially if it gets to be the worst. Which leads to him being admitted.

"Dad?" I whisper, and he straightens.

"It's okay, he will be just fine" dad turns, his eyes glossy and he forces a smile. "Go eat with your sister please. I'm going to go up there" He passes me, and squeezes my arm on the way. Once he's out of ear shot, pops looks at me.

"Go bud" he nods to the dining room.

"Is he going to be okay?" I lean against the doorframe, and Pops sighs. Clearing his throat and crossing his arms over his chest.

"They can't find him a medicine that works. And being on so many different things is hard '' Pop's voice is gentle, and he shakes his head. "But your brother's strong, and he will get through it. Just be supportive, and nice"

"What about dad?" I lean my head against the frame, and Pop's calm exterior breaks for a moment.

"You know he loves you kids.. It's just" Pops sighs, shaking his head. "It takes a piece of him everytime. He blames himself, Bran. He thinks it's his fault. It's no one's fault though. Some things just happen. Shitty or not. You just have to live with it, and figure it out. But it's not anyone's fault" Pops clears his throat.