Chapter Twenty Two

Noah Everett

"You're still so grumpy" Layla says, as she leans back against her head board.

"I'm not grumpy" I mumble, crossing my ankle over my other one leaning back into her headboard. "Just got a lot on my mind, you know this"

"Yeah, but we're figuring it out," She says, squeezing my arm. "It'll be fine"

We got word from surrounding packs that there's a far pack thinking of attacking. They want more land, more wolves and a bigger pack. It's just rumors right now, but if it's true? I have a mate to keep safe. I have a whole goddamn pack to keep safe.

"Yano, he can protect himself. Right?" Layla says, her voice soft.

"I also know all his weak spots, and there's quite a few. People will use that against him-"

"He's literally one of the best fighters in our entire pack Noah" she cuts me off, shaking her head. "You're tearing him down like he's fucking weak. And that's what your guy's problem has been all these years. He can handle himself" her words leave no room for argument.

That doesn't stop me. "Who's to say there isn't someone ten times better than him out there? Or me? How the hell am I supposed to protect my other half and hundreds of others? I have to choose, and I know my goddamn choice. "My words are harsh, and Layla doesn't flinch, she doesn't hesitate.

"You don't have to choose, because he can protect himself. And he will help you protect the pack, so will I"

"He's my mate Lay, I can't just leave him unprotected" I stress, trying to get my point across. "He can be the best fighter out there, it doesn't matter. If the time comes, I'm going to have to leave to fight, and I don't know if I can leave him to do it. I'm not that strong"

"You think you're the only one who's going to want to protect him? There's hundreds, hundreds, of wolves who would give their life in a blink of an eye to protect their Luna. You gotta know that, Noah"

I let out a heavy breath, leaning my head back against the headboard. My eyes close, and I take another breath, letting it fill my lungs. "No one will ever be enough to protect him, besides me. It won't be enough if every goddamn wolf is protecting him. If someone comes for him? I'll kill them. I'll kill everyone in the fucking world to protect him." my words come out powerful, and the truth sinks in.

I think I love Branson.

"How was hanging with Lay?" Bran asks. He's sitting in my bed, in my clothes, with his school work laid out in front of him. He's been hanging around my room a lot more, ever since we mated.

"It was okay. Stressful because we're trying to come up with a plan for this attack. I have a meeting with my dad, and some of the other packs this week. I actually think you should be there too. To hear what the safety plan is. So you know where to go"

"Wouldn't I just go with you?" he asks, his brows creasing.

"Well no, I'll have to go fight-"

"What?" he stops, closing up his work book. "I'll be fighting too Noah" his brows furrow further, "So I'd be under your orders anyways"

"That's the thing about your missing pups. You're not fighting" my words are strong, using my Alpha tone. He stares at me for a moment, and then he's climbing out of bed.

"I am fighting, Noah."

"No, you're really not. You're staying here"

"I can handle my own, I'm one of the best fighters. That's a complete waste, and idiotic move to have me sit behind. I don't think you're thinking clearly" he shakes his head, and I'm having the same fight i had with Layla.

"Good, then you can stay and fight with whoever gets past the barrier"

"This is bullshit" he shakes his head, a humorless laugh leaving him. "It's always this shit, with you. You don't think i can handle myself"

"I think you're a good fighter. But I also think you're my mate, and I can't choose who to protect. If it comes down to you, or someone else. I'll always choose you. If one person comes for you, I won't be able to protect the ones who need it. Because I'll be too worried about killing whoever thought they could take what's mine away. It has nothing to do with your ability to fight or not, Branson. I'm not having this fucking fight, either. I'm Alpha, what i say goes"

He stares. Just stare at me. He doesn't say anything, and then his eyes gloss. And my heart breaks. Everything in me shatters.

"Then I guess, whatever Alpha says, goes." Is all he says, as he starts packing up his stuff.

"Why did you say it like that?" I ask, stepping closer to him.

"Because I'm not your equal, and you'll never see me as one. I'll never be enough for you Noah. You're making it very fucking clear" he finishes packing up his things, and makes his way to the door.

"How does me wanting to keep you safe, translate to us not being equals?" I ask, getting frustrated. I'm so fucking sick of this fight today.

"Because if we were equals, you'd talk to me, and hear my side. Because you wouldn't have said that. You would have talked to me. But you never want to talk, you want what you want, and say whatever you fucking want. Without caring how the shit hurts me. And I'm sick of it. So be the fucking Alpha, Noah." and he's gone. He leaves my room, leaving me stunned silent.

He knows I have to be alpha, I have a duty to uphold. I told him I'd choose him, and all he took from that was us not being equal?

I don't understand what happened, but I can't let him walk away. Right?

That's what I tell myself, as I rush out of my room and after him. He was moving quickly, because he's already outside and walking towards his house. I grab his elbow, turning him around.

"Teach me" my voice is rough, hoarse. "What can I do better?"

He looks stunned, and confused. "What?"

"How can I make you understand that I see us as equals? That i didn't mean it that way. That I love you, and want to protect you. That's all I meant" my words rush out of me, and Branson's eyes widen.

"You love me?" he asks, breathlessly, his lips parted.

"Yes" I nod, I didn't mean to say that, but it's the truth. I love fighting with him, I love getting to know him. I love him. I'd burn the world to protect him from anything- anybody. I will work on any part of me, if it makes him happy.

I'd change every bit of me, if I had to. To make him happy. But I know I won't, because I know he loves me, too. I know it because he's listening to me, because he's hearing me out. Because he will help me be the best version of myself I can be.

He doesn't say anything, but then he's dropping his stuff, and flinging himself on me. His lips meet mine, in a messy, deep kiss. There's tongue, teeth, growling, and nipping.

Everything in me heats, my hands are pulling him close, his are slipping into my hair. He tugs at the strands, meeting my tongue, stroke for stroke.

He doesn't say he loves me back, but his kiss, the way he's shoving his tongue down my throat says it all. 

A/N

Check my patreon for early access and the first 16 chapters of Alexander's story! :)