Embracing Waters

Fern's Pov:

The sound of shattering pots clashed with the screams of my mother. She had come into my room, if you called a walk-in closet a room, and started to throw my precious flowers onto the floor. I flinched at a pot that had broken close to me, cutting my calf. 

"YOU GET A JOB AND YOU BUY THESE USELESS PLANTS? WHY DON'T YOU GET SOMETHING MORE USEFUL? FOR GOD'S SAKE, WHY DO I EVEN LET YOU STAY HERE?!" she yelled at me, her breathe smelling of cheap store liquor. Of course she was drunk, coming in here to scold me for such a stupid reason. She never bothered to come in here unless she was drunk, grabbing anything she could to toss at me and it WOULD occasionally hit me. 

I had gotten a job immediately after school, a florist job. My boss was kind enough to let me take some home after working there for a week. So, technically, I didn't buy them. My mother continued to scream at me, her brows furrowed as she grabbed one of my books and threw it at me making contact. I grunted in pain, my hand covering my head as my mother's face looked more sadistic, a smile crept her face. 

She liked when I'd show signs of pain, she enjoyed belittling me even after she had found my razors. She had tossed them at me and told me to do it right in front of her. I had complied and she laughed at me saying that I was disgusting. After that, I had hidden them a lot better than before in fear she'd do it again.

Another object came my way, arms up guarding my head as she pummeled me with her fist. I was lucky she wasn't holding a bottle although it didn't matter as she kicked my gut that made me do a coughing fit. A hand motioned to my gut while the other clutched at my neck, my air flow had stopped from that kick, and it was getting hard to breathe again. My mother watched me for a moment as she somewhat became sober. Huffing, she picked me up and walked me to the sink in the kitchen to make sure that if I vomit, it'd be in there. She turned the knob of sink, water poured out as she pats my back roughly, her expression more annoyed with no sense of concern as I coughed. I could feel my lungs inflate with one more cough, my legs giving out from the relief and due to my mother not holding me up anymore as she just walked away towards her room and slammed the door shut. 

My eyes relaxed from its frightened state. I thought I wasn't scared of death anymore but that... scared me more than I had thought. Using the counter of the sink as a crutch, I turned off the water. I leaned against the sink still feeling winded. That was a first and it surprised me since mom kicked me every so often, this never happened before.

'I'm tired' I thought to myself. I trudged to my room, holding the doorframe as my eyes trailed towards a blue box in the corner of my room. I knew what was in there, blades I had collected, blades I had used. But did it matter if you used them now? What was the point of doing it if my own mother could possibly kill me at any point? Those little blades weren't going to kill me. I doubt I'd be able to bleed to death before she'd barge in and 'help' me. No, I can't do this anymore. I'm done with her, this place, this world.

As sore as I was, I walked to the front door and opened it quietly, shutting it as I headed in a direction. A direction that led me to an open field of dandelions and grass. It was a beautiful place, a nice resting spot to die as I walked further ahead, a cliff nearing. I looked down from it, a small river at the bottom. I wouldn't miss it if I fell and even if I did, it would be instant death on the rocky shore. I was pretty far up and with my understanding of physics, this will still be painful but ... It was better than staying here.

With a deep breath, I tipped over the edge. I was falling fast, my body pushing down into the air as I neared closer and closer to the river. I shut my eyes, my body colliding with the water. I could feel the pain, like hitting a brick wall but the water enveloped me and I embraced the warmth. For once it was quiet, for once it was peaceful. Slowly my lungs filled up with water, weighing me down faster. I didn't struggle, rather I couldn't struggle due to the impact. It didn't matter anyway. I was finally free from it all. Nothing to hurt me, nothing to fear, nothing to stop me.....

So... Why are my eyes opening? Why am I still alive? I-i was sure I did it right! Just why am I still here! I started to breath heavily, my hands clutching the bed sheets. Before I could go into a panic attack, my eyes focused onto the ceiling. Actually, the ceiling looks relatively different than my room. Is this my ro- My thoughts were interrupted with visions, no, memories of someone. People, monsters, everything about the place I was in. No way, I didn't just die but was reborn into someone else! This can't be true. I tried to get up quickly, looking for something to see myself in. A mirror was up against a wall, those long ones that reflected the other side of the room. I scrambled to it and although cracked, I could see myself clearly, rather I could see someone else. I... really was someone... I was... Sans.