Interrogated

Fern's Pov:

I tilted my head as I looked up at them. What did they see? I hadn't thought of CHECKing myself so hopefully it wasn't anything weird. 

"Wilty, why's your LV still one?" the tar-teared skelly asked, his figure looming over me. I felt myself shrink as my back hit a tree. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, crud. I fiddled with the fluff in my pocket as I spoke.

"Uh... I didn't really kill them myself..." The memory coming into mind although I wish I didn't have to remember, "W-when they were fighting me, they were becoming... frustrated that I wouldn't attack back. S-so they... forced me to kill... them." I shivered at the screams in my head.

"That doesn't explain why you don't have the LV." Cross retorted, his eyes narrowing at me.

"Well, as the k-knife was in my hand... I let go of it. I couldn't do it, but the vines, Papy, did it." Papy, I don't know how it happened either. I was crying so hard, begging Frisk to stop, the vines had taken the knife from the floor and finished it. I've never seen that happen in any route before. Maybe, Papy remembered something from some run. I wouldn't have known, and I doubt the Sans would've known either. The two nodded, a hint of disbelief on their face.

"Why didn't you just attack them anyway? I mean, it would've been easier if ya' did," target skelly asked me, his odd smile still plastered on his face.

"I can't attack..." I muttered, my voice shaking.

"What do ya' mean ya' can't? Just gotta swing yer' weapon and *boom* dead," he explained as if I didn't know how to fight, not that his description was accurate either. I shook my head slowly, my hands moving from my pockets to clutch my chest. 

"My soul doesn't allow that," I whispered out. My shoe shuffled in the snow, waiting for a response. Glancing up at them, I could see their skulls gearing. Shouldn't it be obvious? Sighing, I CHECKed myself, pulling my soul through my body.

It glowed an emerald-green, my hands shaking as I held it out carefully. This made me feel vulnerable but I had to show them I'm no threat. I saw my stats, too. I really had zero in ATK.

"Never seen that before. Have you?" Teary asked the panda skelly, trying to hold in his surprise.

"No... Sans usually aren't this .... They don't have this soul type..." He responded slowly, thinking about what they should do. "Let us just take him with us. Boss will know what to do." The target skelly stared at me for moment before nodding in agreement.

"Ya' gotta name for yourself? And not Sans. We clearly have the same name so make somethin' up for yerself. Unless you liked Wilty." He jeered.

"Um..." I looked at myself. I was not being called Wilty, definitely not. Plus, my ferns were only dead because of my lack of magic. Wait, ferns...

"It's Fern," I told them quickly after figuring a name for myself. I could feel a small smile crawling on my face, my teeth straining from the effort.

"Name's Killer, that is Cross," he gestured to his partner, chuckling as he referred to Cross as an object. Cross rolled his eyelights, a large knife-like sword cutting into the air. Killer jumped into it, Cross looked at me and tilted his head towards the rift. Hesitantly, I stepped into it, the floor meeting my feet. Cross walked over and closed his portal, resummoning his weapon. Wish I could do that.

We were now in a huge hallway, the ceiling fairly high from the floor. The window panes stretched towards the ceiling although only the moonlight shined through. Each window had it's own set of curtains that matched the carpet on the floor. As we walked through the hall, we approached double-doors.

Cross's hand reached the door to knock but Killer wanted to enter his own way, opening with a bang. I flinched in surprise as the door swung open, my spine straighter than ever.

"We're back~" Killer spoke in a sing-song voice, hit foot hitting the floor and his hands in his pockets. The figure before us only sighed in annoyance as he got up from his seat, tendrils following close by.

"Must you kick my door every single time you come to my office, Killer." The figure glared at Killer. Killer didn't shrink from his gaze and shrugged, his smile never faltering. Cross shook his head disapprovingly, his arms folded at his chest.

"We wanted to show ya' somethin' Boss," he ushered me in front of the goo-like figure. I stood there, an awkward smile on my face. Another uncomfortable situation, seems like a reoccurring theme here. He stared me down before looking up to the other two.

"You two may leave." He ordered. Killer walked out happily while Cross paused for a moment before walking out, closing the door. Now it was me and this... Weird squid. His tendrils swayed as he spoke to me.

"I am Nightmare, the ruler of negativity and nightmares," his voice gruff as he introduced himself.

"Fern, nice to m-meet you," I muttered, still looking towards the floor. The office looked like any other office, relatively the ones you'd see in detective shows just with more space.

"You were the source of that negativity. You don't look like you'd be able to produce that much. Do you mind if I asked why?" He calmly asked me. It didn't seem like he was pressuring me to tell him so it was a bit easier to speak normally.

"What would you call negativity?" I asked him first.

He thought for a moment. "A strong negative emotion such as anger, sadness, fear." He looked at me expectantly.

"Well, I've been asleep for a long time so when I woke up from a bad dream, I kind of panicked," I spoke somewhat truthfully, not wanting to explain my whole panic attack situation. He didn't look too convinced but he let it go after my ferns wilted a bit more, the leaves breaking from their little stems.

"Oh! Sorry, I'm making a mess," I tried to pick up the fallen leaves before a goopy tendril picked me up. My eyes widened as my feet were lifted off the floor, a squeak escaping me. It shook me gently, moving me up and down in the air. Nightmare seemed to be thinking of something before a black puddle appeared on the floor. The puddle built itself up, it taking the form of a Papyrus?

It walked out of the room just when it was created. I still held on to the tendril, surprised I wasn't covered in any black substance.

"Um, why are you... Carrying me?" I asked meekly.

"I'm checking something," he mumbled a reply. That doesn't answer anything, I sighed hearing footsteps approach the door.