Two

Haerin sighed as she left her best friend on read, complaining to herself in her head

'Why did I have to be friends with an extrovert.'

She twirled a pencil around in her hand, staring blankly at the seating chart that was shown on the projector in the front of the class.

She kept her eyes on the girl who was going to be her partner in physics, she had never seen nor heard of the girl before.

Sure, most of the class were seniors while she was a junior, a perk that was also a curse of being smart as hell.

But considering that she had known a lot of the seniors due to that fact, it surprised her that she didn't know who this girl was.

'Danielle Marsh...'

...

'I hope she's not one of those girls... I'd rather not do double the physics work.'

"Are you Haerin?"

Haerin jumped from the sudden voice next to her, the girl she was thinking about seeming to appear out of thin air.

The girl quickly raised her hands with a hint of a frown.

"Ah- sorry! I didn't mean to startle you."

Haerin just looked up at her in silence, turning away with a small nod and a mumble as she slouched a little into her seat.

"Yeah I'm Haerin."

The girl, Danielle, slid into the seat next to her, greeting her again with a smile.

"It's nice to meet you!"

Haerin just nodded as she kept her eyes glued to the table, which led Danielle to hold a confused frown.

Until she glanced down, seeing that Haerin was picking at her fingers underneath the table, her foot bouncing ever so slightly.

'I guess she's not much of a talker...'

...

'She seems familiar... I don't know anyone here though? ... Oh wait- She was in my calc class earlier right?'

Haerin finally looked her way when she saw Danielle continuously stare at her from the corner of her eye, the foreign girl only being saved by their teacher bringing the students' attention to the front of the class...

...

...

...

...

...

God, did Haerin hate the first day of school.

First day of school meant new seats, new groups, new partners, which meant teachers were more often than not going to make students talk to get to know their tablemates.