Phantom Pains

Another weekend in hell and vaggie and Charlie were cuddling on the couch,  watching a movie. That was until Vaggie needed to go to the bathroom. She tried getting up but winced in pain as she did so. It was supposed to be a relaxing weekend with just the two of them but her back pain was acting up. She thought that since she grew her wings back, her phantom pain should disappear but unfortunately it didn't. Well, the pain would only go away if she made her wings pop out, which was something she didn't want to do.

Vaggies relationship with her wings was weird. She was ashamed of them. They were a constant reminder of what she used to be. She felt like she deserved to have her wings ripped off and eye cut out. She would make sure to only have her wings out whenever she needed them. And if that meant bearing with the pain, then that's what she would do.

“Vaggie, you okay?” The princess of hell asked, noticing her wince as she got up.

“Y-yeah, nothing to worry about,” She nervously smiled. Charlie could tell it was a fake smile but she decided to give Vaggie time to tell her.

Every step she took, her back ached and she could feel wings on her but they were throbbing in pain. She looked back and saw that her wings were still gone, not yet summoned.

When she returned from the bathroom, she saw Charlie, waiting nervously on the couch.

“you haven't taken your wings out in a while, you want to do that now?” she asked when she sat next to her. She really did like Vaggies wings. They looked beautiful and hot from her point of view. They just reminded her of a normal demon with wings, like Husk, not an angel.

“Uh, I'm okay, really. I don't need to keep them out, trust me,” Vaggie assured her. She really didn't want Charlie to be worrying about her wings. After all, they were a reminder of all the souls she's killed. It would be bad if she were to ask for comfort having something that hurt her girlfriend.

However, during the rest of the movie, Charlie could tell that Vaggie was in pain. The small winces and hisses, the face of hiding pain, and the constant flinching made it easy to tell.

“Alright, spill,” Charlie demanded as she paused the movie.

“Th-there's nothing to spill!” Vaggie deflected

“Honey, I can tell you're hiding something. I can see you in pain and it hurts me to know that you're hurting,” Charlie explained, holding both of Vaggies hands in her lap.

“I… I have phantom pains,” Vaggie mumbled, barely audible.

“I'm sorry, hon, I couldn't hear you,”

“I have phantom pains when my wings aren't out…” she mumbled a bit louder.

Charlie took a moment to process. She didn't know you could get phantom pains from wings. Then again, she's never had them, so what would she know? Was Vaggie just ignoring the pain? Why didn't she just take her wings out then.

“Why don't you take your wings out?” She asked. She didn't want Vaggie to be in any more pain.

“They- they remind me of the stuff that I've done. The sinners I killed. I don't like thinking about it but the wings constantly remind me that I don't deserve any kindness I'm given,” Vaggie curled her legs up to her chest.

Charlie looked at her with concern and worry. It’s been 3 years and she still wasn’t over her trauma, even after they talked about it. She knew she needed therapy but no one really had that here. The only thing she could do is love and support her.

“Hey, Baby, You deserve so much kindness. Do you know how many lives you saved? Probably a thousand!” Charlie exclaimed, “Plus, I like your wings. And hopefully you’ll learn to like them too. I used to hate my hooves because they reminded me of my dad and how he was never there, but I learned to love them because they are a part of who I am,

“I love you more than anything, Sweetie. And i hate seeing you in pain. I don’t care that you were an exorcist, I just don’t want you to be in pain. Please, let your wings be free,” She told her, squeezing her hands to give reassurance.

“O-okay…” Vaggie took a deep breath and summoned her wings out. And just like that, her pain was gone. She let out a breath of relief.

“Th-thank you, Charlie. I still feel a bit bad about them but hopefully over time I’ll love them again,” She blushed before hugging her, her wings following and wrapping around Charlie. The feathers from the wings tickled Charlie’s cheeks and she started giggling.

Charlie was happy to help Vaggie feel better. She hated seeing her lover in pain and would do anything to help her.