fifteen. norman fucking rockwell

'CAUSE YOU'RE JUST A MAN
IT'S JUST WHAT YOU DO
YOUR HEAD IN YOUR HANDS
AS YOU COLOR ME BLUE
lana del rey

'CAUSE YOU'RE JUST A MANIT'S JUST WHAT YOU DOYOUR HEAD IN YOUR HANDSAS YOU COLOR ME BLUElana del rey

Rory just wanted to talk to her Dad. She didn't like using Floo but she didn't fancy a walk. Whatever it was she wanted to say to him, she didn't remember once she saw who was standing in front of her. The green smoke faded like a sick magician's final trick. But magicians didn't raise the dead — not even real magic could.

But she knew it wasn't a ghost either. She'd seen ghosts every day working at Hogwarts. She knew they were nothing but foggy memories, apparitions of the past. No, what she was looking at was not made of reminiscent fragments. It was real. Real and full of life.

Her mouth became dry and her eyes heavy. She collapsed.

"Shit," Andy muttered

"Shit," Andy muttered. He instinctively ran to pick up Rory and place her on the couch.

"Oh my God..." Aaron gasped. "What happened?" He furrowed his brows and looked around the room. He looked down at his clothes, looked at his reflection in the television, and began crying. "Why do I look like this? What's the matter with Rory? Where am I?"

Dealla watched in pain as the boy connected his old life with his new. Real and pretend were meeting somewhere in the middle. His time as Matty would become a distant memory, almost like a dream recalled the next morning. The details were so fuzzy but yet it felt so vivid. She hadn't meant for any of this to happen. She did not believe that the sins of the father should reflect on to the children — yet she had not only witnessed it but played a major role. None of it was meant to punish Aaron. He was just a child.

Andrew and Dealla were children once, too. Although, at times she wished for her memories to be wiped, it was something she could never bring herself to do. It's much easier to inflict pain on others, isn't it? To use a child as a proxy for a man that taught you the very meaning of the word? There was no forgiving what she'd done. And as she watched Aaron stagger around the room with tears in his eyes she knew she was going to hell.

"Aaron," she said calmly. "You're okay. Everything is going to be okay. Something happened to you... please, sit down."

Rory still lay unconscious, which was probably for the best. Cleo left the room to get her water and Andrew sat by his daughter's side. She knew he was trying to look away from Aaron and Dealla. She knew he did not want to fully feel anything just yet. He was casting his emotions aside until he knew it was real. Brutal optimists like Andrew often did that.