two. landslide

CAN I SAIL THROUGH THE CHANGING
OCEAN TIDES? CAN I HANDLE THE
SEASONS OF MY LIFE?
fleetwood mac

CAN I SAIL THROUGH THE CHANGING OCEAN TIDES? CAN I HANDLE THE SEASONS OF MY LIFE?fleetwood mac

RORY GRABBED HER COFFEE off the counter and muttered a "thank you" to the barista. Angelina had already gotten hers and was sitting at a two person table by the window of the shop. They sometimes got coffee together at a little shop by Rory's flat. It made her reminiscent of her days of working at The Gemini Café. The place they were at had the same sunny pastel feeling without being owned by the son (yes, Zane was now the owner) of the man who tortured her. The coffee wasn't as good, but sacrifices had to be made.

"How are you?" Angelina asked.

Rory shrugged, "I'm fine. I dunno why everyone is treating me like this again."

"I just asked how you were. You asked me how I was and I didn't start making accusations," she scoffed.

"Sorry," Rory sighed, "I just feel like... it's like when Cedric died all over again. Everyone is worried about me for some reason, like my dad inviting me over for dinner tonight."

"Ever thought maybe your dad just wants to see you?"

Rory blew on her coffee before answering. "I just don't want to get ambushed or something."

"That's fair."

The summer sunlight was hitting Rory's back through the large window that was facing the busy street. She realized as people walked past they were probably looking at her so she fixed her posture out of insecurity.

"What did you end up doing the other night?" Rory asked.

"Last Friday at the bar?" Angelina asked, swallowing her latte as she spoke. Rory nodded. "Oh! Nothing, really. That Ezra guy's friend drove me home. Although, I gave Ezra my telephone number and nothing so far... his friend seemed like your type."

"He was living and breathing though, wasn't he?" Rory joked.

Angelina looked at her sternly, "Rory..."

"I was kidding! What happened to your sense of humor, Angie?"

"Well, sometimes your jokes can make people uncomfortable."

Rory rolled her eyes, "Well they can fucking cope because last time I checked, I was the one with the dead boyfriend and it's my dead boyfriend to joke about —"

"Okay, you're right. Sorry." Angelina sighed.

There was a silence between the two women as they slowly sipped their coffee. Rory watched as Angelina's eyes darted around the shop and out the window, not landing on her.

Just as Rory was about to do her bidding and break the silence, Angelina nearly choked on her coffee.

"No way," she gasped. "No fucking way. Okay, Rory, look — oh my goodness, they're coming inside! Act natural."