nine. losing my religion

AND I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO IT.
OH NO, I'VE SAID TOO MUCH.
— r.e.m
(cw: sexual content in the second half of the chapter)

"GEORGE! ANSWER THE DOOR! I KNOW YOU'RE AWAKE!" Kirsty shouted

"GEORGE! ANSWER THE DOOR! I KNOW YOU'RE AWAKE!" Kirsty shouted. She was banging on the door with urgency with one hand and holding a gift for George in another.

"Fuck, Kirsty! You can't just show up on my doorstep whenever you — What the hell is that?!" He asked as he opened the door, his mouth agape and his eyes wide.

"A kitten," Kirsty shrugged. "Surprise!"

"You got me a bloody kitten? What the fuck?" George spat.

"Can I come in?" Kirsty sighed. George nodded and stepped out of the way so Kirsty could enter his flat. She sat down on the couch and placed the kitten in her lap. "Look, he's ginger like you! I thought you could name him."

George shut the door and sat next to Kirsty. "Just... why did you do this?"

Kirsty lifted the kitten to George's face and pouted, "He's missing bit of his ear here. I saw him and just knew he was your animal soulmate. How could I say no to this face?" The kitten meowed and George smiled.

"I'm gonna have to buy food and toys and stuff... how am I going to have time with the shop and — "

"We could always hire someone new. I have been saying you need to work less and this is the perfect excuse... the purrrfect excuse." She handed George the kitten and he smiled again.

"Do you want to hire someone new?" George asked.

"You trust me?" Kirsty scoffed.

George nodded, "You know I trust you with my life."

"But with the shop?"

"Make sure Verity approves of them first," he chuckled.

They sat there and played with the kitten while George tried to think of a name. Kirsty couldn't help but fall deeper in love with him as she watched him.

"How about Vincent? I'm not the only ginger with a missing ear," George smiled.

"That's perfect!" Kirsty beamed. "Why don't you and I go down to the Magical Menagerie while our new hire cat sits while Ver does shipment."

George furrowed his brows with concern, "You've already hired someone else?"

Kirsty nodded and got up off the couch. She opened the door to George's flat and shouted down the stairs. "Hey, stockboy! Come on up!"

It was none other than Ron Weasley.

"Surprise?" He smiled.

"Ron? What's going on?" George said with a confused chuckle.

Kirsty smiled proudly, "Someone hated Auror school and asked me for a job."

"Behind my back?"

The woman nodded, "Yes."