Chapter 9: 4th of July

Someone knocked on our front door and Scotty and I opened it to find Benny standing on our front porch.

"Get your gloves on and come on," Benny smiled.

"What's the big deal?" Scotty asked.

"Night game," Benny said. "Come on. Come on."

Scotty and I nodded as we put our gloves on.

"Mom, we're going out!" Scotty and I shouted in unison as we ran out of the house after Benny.

Fireworks whizzed into the air as Benny, Scotty, and I ran to the Sandlot.

There was only one night game a year.

On the Fourth of July...the whole sky would brighten up with fireworks, giving us just enough light for a game.

We all played our best because, I guess, we all felt like the big leaguers...under the lights of some great stadium.

Benny and I felt like that all the time.

The Sandlot boys and I knew he was gonna go on to bigger and better games, because every time we stopped to watch the sky on those nights like regular kids, he was there to call us back.

You see, for the Sandlot boys, baseball was a game.

But for Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez and I, baseball was life.

My only goal was to make my Dad proud of me for becoming the first ever woman to play baseball.

Sure that was unheard of...for now. But I knew in my gut...that I could make it a reality.

"Okay, hit it!" Kenny cheered on Benny who was up to bat.

"Yeah, yeah, come on, Benny," Yeah-Yeah cheered.

Fireworks whistled and cracked in the sky above us as we played.

Benny hit the ball, running around from base to base.

I looked around me, noticing that the boys were looking up at the sky.

I shook my head as I chased after the ball.

I scooped it off the ground and ran after Benny, tagging him after he made it to the third base.

Benny chuckled and smiled at me.

I smiled back.

"Looks like it's just us tonight," Benny said.

"Looks like it," I replied.

Benny wrapped his arms around my waist as he stared into my eyes. I stared back, wrapping my arms around his neck.

Benny and I stayed like that for a moment. Just staring at each other.

The only sounds we could hear were our own heartbeats ringing in our ears and the fireworks exploding in the night sky.

"Y/n?" Benny said after a while of us just staring at each other, lost in the moment.

"Yes, Benny," I smiled.

"Can I...," Benny started, suddenly looking nervous. "Can I kiss you?"

I giggled.

"Yes you can, Rodriguez," I nodded.

Benny smiled as he leaned in. His eyes fell to my lips as mine fell to his.

Benny's lips pressed to mine as I closed my eyes.

His lips were soft and sweet against mine.

The kiss was soft and gentle. Heart racing.

It was my first ever kiss and it was magical.

After a while, Benny and I pulled apart.

We laughed at each other and looked up at the beautifully lit night sky, holding each other in the other's arms. Just enjoying each other's company.