Chapter 13: Carnival Part II

"I didn't know you were such a romantic, Benny," I said as we reached the ferris wheel line.

"I didn't either," Benny shrugged. "I guess you bring out different parts of me that I didn't even know were there."

I smiled as I interlaced my fingers with Benny's.

"I feel the same about you," I said, staring at our hands interlocked. "You bring out different parts of me that I didn't know were there. You make me happier too."

I looked up to see Benny smiling down at me.

"You make me happier too," Benny said. "I love being around you."

I felt the butterflies in my stomach do somersaults as my face began to heat up.

"Next!" A man shouted, snapping Benny and I out of our moment.

We quickly handed the man our tickets. Benny helped me into the car as he got in after me.

We sat beside each other as the man locked the bar to keep us from falling out.

He then pressed the button and Benny and I began to go around the ferris wheel.

"I've always loved ferris wheels," I admitted to Benny with a smile.

"Oh yeah," Benny said. "Why's that?"

"I loved the view from the top and I've always loved the idea of people going on one as a couple."

"You're quite the romantic aren't you?"

"I am," I nodded. "My grandma used to read romance stories to me all the time. My favorite one was the one where she met my grandpa."

I looked over to see Benny staring at me, all of his attention solely on me.

Just knowing that all of his attention was on me, made my heart race.

"I feel like I'm talking about myself too much," I said, suddenly feeling nervous under Benny's gaze. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize," Benny said, taking my hand in his, interlacing our fingers together. "I love to listen to you talk. I love your voice."

I could feel my face burn and the butterflies in my stomach go crazy at his words.

"Please continue," Benny smiled. "I'm interested in your favorite romantic story about your grandparents."

I smiled.

"Well," I continued. "My grandma used to work at a diner when she was teenager. My grandpa and his friends came into the diner every Friday night for shakes. He always asked for my grandma to be their waitress. He flirted with her every time they went. But one day, his friends convinced him to ask her out and he did. They've been together ever since."

I felt the ferris wheel stop and I looked around to see we had made it to the top.

The view was spectacular. You could see all the lights from town from up at the top. It was magical.

I looked over at Benny to see him staring at me...well...staring at me and then my lips.

I could feel my heart race as I looked at Benny's eyes and then his lips.

He leaned in and kissed me.

I cupped his face with my hands as my eyes shut.

This kiss was more passionate than the last, but still gentle.

His lips were soft against mine and he didn't seem to rush any kiss he gave me.

Even though this was our second kiss, I knew every kiss with him would be just as heart melting as the first one.

I could tell he wanted to take his time with me and that alone gave me even more butterflies.

As we pulled apart we just smiled at each other.

"I'm never going to get used to this," I said.

"What?" Benny asked, raising an eyebrow.

I gently placed my head on his shoulder as the ferris wheel continued moving.

"Me and you," I smiled as I enjoyed the view.

"Me neither," Benny agreed. "And I'm okay with that."

Benny and I walked hand in hand as we reached the ride where the boys stood at the entrance of it.

They looked ghostly pale and the front of their shirts were covered in puke.

I saw Scotty and quickly let go of Benny's hand as I ran up to him.

"What happened?" I asked, worried.

"The chaw," Squints groaned. "The ride..."

I connected the dots.

They all got dizzy chewing the Chaw on the spinning ride, making them sick.

"Oh boys," I shook my head.

"Please don't tell Mom," Scotty pleaded.

"Don't worry," I said. "I won't."

"You guys look rough," Benny said, scanning the boy's sad faces.

"Let's get you boys home," I said, squatting down in front of Scotty.

Thankfully his shirt wasn't covered in puke.

Scotty quickly climbed on my back and I stood up, carrying him.

"What are we going to tell our parents?" Squints asked.

Benny picked up Tommy and gave him a piggyback.

Tommy didn't have any puke on his shirt either, surprisingly.

"Just tell them that you guys ate something that didn't agree with your stomachs," Benny said. "Some fried chicken or something."

The boys all groaned in response as Benny and I walked them home.

After we had dropped off all the boys, Scotty, Benny, and I headed home.

"My parents are asleep so Scotty has some time to get a little better before our Mom sees," I told Benny.

Benny nodded.

"I'll give him some medicine and water and then he should be good."

"I loved hanging out with you today," Benny smiled.

"I'm pretty sure we just had our first date," I giggled.

"Oh," Benny said, looking slightly surprised. "Well, it was wonderful."

"It was," I smiled and nodded in agreement. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Sounds good. See you then."

Benny quickly gave me a small peck on the lips and then we went our separate ways, heading home.