Chapter 18: Ideas

The boys and I just sat in the treehouse thinking of ideas on how to get the ball back.

"Why don't we just go over and knock on the door and ask Mr. Mertle if he can get it for us?" I asked.

I had already asked this question earlier, but I figured it wouldn't be such a bad idea to bring it up again.

"Are you out of your mind?" Squints said, his eyes widening. "Mr. Mertle's the meanest old man that ever lived. He's the one who made The Beast eat that kid."

I still didn't believe his story for one second.

"It's not an option, Little Red," Squints said. "Forget about it!"

"Okay okay," I sighed. "Sorry."

Benny rubbed my back with his hand in an attempt to soothe me. It kinda worked.

"Let's just look out the window," Squints said, walking over to the window of the treehouse.

"Good idea," Scotty nodded, walking over to the window.

The boys and I all stared out the window, down at The Beast's paw and at Scotty and my stepdad's prized baseball only inches away from his paw.

"He's daring us," Squints said.

"We're on his territory now," Benny said. "Anybody got any bright ideas?"

After we'd all thought about it real hard, we had absolutely no idea what in the world we were gonna do.

So things started primitively...

"Go," Squints instructed from up in the treehouse. He was watching from the window, looking for any signs of The Beast. "Farther."

I was crouched next to Benny, behind Ham moving the wooden pole towards the ball.

Ham moved the long wooden pole farther out towards The Beast, like Squints instructed.

"Farther, okay," Ham said, nodding as he moved the board farther out.

"Just a little bit farther," Squints instructed from up in the tree house.

"Farther. Farther," Squints erged.

"Aah!" We all yelled as something on the other side of the fence suddenly stopped the pole from moving.

The Beast.

"Oh, no! Aah!" Squints shouted.

The boys and I pulled on Ham as we tried to pull the wooden pole back towards us, only to find half of it missing and chewed off.

We quickly exchanged worried looks as we stared back at the hole in the fence.

We had taken some of Scotty's robotics kit and made a long metal pole with a mesh pot on the end to try to get the ball.

"Farther," Squints instructed as Ham and the boys moved the metal invention further into the hole in the fence, towards the ball. "Go to the right a little bit. Put the back to the right."

"Farther?" Ham asked, looking up at Squints still in the treehouse.

"Guys, I see it," Squints smiled. "Turn, turn. Almost. You got it. Pull it back."

"I got it!" Ham cheered.

"Got it, guys," Squints said.

We heard The Beast snarl on the other side of the fence.

I looked up at Squints to see panic on his face.

"Pull it back! Aah!" Squints shouted.

We all started screaming as our metal invention was thrown over the fence in a crushed mess.