Chapter 11: More than Baseball

"Play ball!" Ham shouted, putting his face protection on as he squatted behind the batter.

Phillips and his team were up to bat while the Sandlot boys and I were in the field.

I was currently left field instead of my original spot, closer to Scotty.

"Hurry up, batter," Ham said, obviously impatient. "It's gotta be a short game, and I gotta get home for lunch."

I nodded. Scotty and I had to be home for lunch too.

"That's one," Ham said, catching the ball that flew past Phillips's teammate.

Ham threw the ball back to Kenny who threw it to the batter.

"You know, if I had a dog as ugly as you, I'd shave his butt and tell him to walk backwards," Ham told the batter as he missed his second ball.

I laughed to myself at Ham's insult to the poor boy as he missed the second ball.

"The heater," Kenny said, pulling the baseball back to throw it. "Here it comes. I dare you."

The poor batter missed the third ball as it whizzed past him and into Ham's glove.

"Strike three," Ham said, throwing the ball back to Kenny. "You're out."

Phillips walked up to bat and got in his stance.

"Hey, is that Y/n out there in left field, naked?" Ham asked, trying to throw Phillips off his game. "She's naked."

"Shut up, Porter!" Phillips said, catching a quick glance at me before looking back at Kenny.

What a pervert.

I looked over to see Benny roll his eyes as all of his focus was on Phillips.

He looked...annoyed. Really annoyed.

I looked back at Ham and Phillips to see Phillips had missed a ball.

"Hey, hey, hey," Ham said. "I'm just trying to have a little friendly conversation."

Phillips rolled his eyes.

"Come on," Ham said. "You think she'd go out with me?"

I smiled. I could tell Ham was getting in Phillips's head from the look on Phillips's face.

I looked over at Benny who looked even more annoyed than I last time I looked at him.

I didn't know Benny could look that annoyed.

"Hey, batter, batter, batter!" Ham shouted.

Phillips hit the ball and then took off running.

"Take him out!" The Sandlot boys started shouting.

"Come on!" Squints shouted as Phillips passed him at first base.

"Bring it in!" Kenny shouted.

"Oh! Beat ya," Phillips yelled at Bertram at second base, passing him as well.

Benny caught the ball from Scotty and ran to third.

It was the fastest I had ever seen Benny run.

"Throw it to third!" Kenny shouted at Benny.

Benny didn't listen and ran after Phillips, tagging him just before he reached home base.

The Sandlot boys and I cheered from the victory.

That run alone cost Phillips's team the game, making us win.

We all cheered and clapped Benny on the back as Phillips's team ran off.

"That was amazing, Benny," Scotty smiled.

"Yeah yeah, Benny," Yeah-Yeah smiled. "Amazing."

"Thanks guys," Benny smiled back at us.

A little while after the game, Benny, Scotty and I headed home together.

Once we reached Scotty's and my house, Benny grabbed my hand in his.

"Hey Little Red," Benny said, suddenly looking nervous.

He looked cute when he was nervous.

"Can I talk to you real quick?" Benny asked.

"Sure," I smiled. "I'll be right there, Scotty."

Scotty nodded and then ran inside, leaving Benny and I alone.

Benny dropped my hand and began to rub the back of his neck with his hand.

He let out a deep sigh.

"What's up, Benny?" I asked, wondering what in the world Benny wanted to talk to me about.

"Well, I'm not good at this kind of stuff...," Benny started. "But...I...I really like you, Y/n."

I felt my face warm up at Benny's words, my heart raced in my chest, and the butterflies in my stomach began to go crazy.

"I thought all you cared about was baseball," I smiled.

"That was before I met you," Benny said, smiling at me.

I swear I think my heart skipped a beat at Benny's words.

"But now I care about you more than baseball," Benny continued, taking my hands in his.

"I really like you too," I smiled back, looking into Benny's beautiful brown eyes.

"I thought all you cared about was baseball," Benny teased, using my words against me.

I giggled as Benny smiled at me.

"That was before I met you and the Sandlot boys," I said. "And before we kissed under the fireworks."

I noticed a familiar pink cover Benny's cheeks as he seemed to remember the night.

"I care about you more than baseball now," I said. "I know my Dad would want me to be happy above all else."

"What do you mean?" Benny raised an eyebrow.

Right. I forgot I hadn't told him about my Dad.

"Well, before my Dad died," I started, looking at my hands in Benny's. "He and I played baseball all the time. He said he wanted me to be the first girl to be able to play baseball. And I wanted nothing more in the whole world to do just that...well...until I met you."

I looked up to Benny staring right at me. I smiled.

"I'm sure he would be proud," Benny smiled. "You are pretty good at baseball."

"Thanks. He was the one who gave me my hat. That's why I wear it all the time."

He nodded as if he understood me.

"So what now?"

Benny shrugged.

"I didn't really think that far," Benny said.

I giggled and shook my head.

"Well...um...," Benny started. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"I'd love to," I smiled.

He smiled back.

"My Mom is probably waiting for me," I said.

Benny nodded.

I leaned in and kissed his cheek gently.

I pulled back and saw Benny's face bright red.

I giggled.

"I'll see you later, boyfriend," I smiled as I pulled my hands out of his grasp.

"I'll see you later, girlfriend," Benny said as I turned around and walked up to my house.

I smiled to myself as I opened my front door and walked inside.