Chapter 17: A Fake

*Back to Y/n's POV*

"Come on. Let's go!" Squints said as we walked out of Vincent's Drugstore.

We had just bought a new baseball to put in place of the one that was currently missing in our step dad's trophy room.

"Go, go, go, go!" Bertram said. "Move, move!"

"Come on. Open it up! Hurry up, hurry up!" Ham said, staring at Yeah-Yeah who quickly took the baseball out of its packaging.

"Give me the ball," Benny said.

Yeah-Yeah quickly passed Benny the ball.

"Give me something to write with," Benny said, looking around at the boys and me.

"I got a pencil," Squints said, checking his pockets.

"Give me a pen, not a pencil!" Benny said, urgently.

"Sorry," Squints apologized.

"I got a pen," I said, pulling a pen out of my pocket and handing it to Benny.

"Thanks," Benny said as he began to write something on the ball.

"Babe-Babe Ruthie?" Squints read off the ball, raising an eyebrow.

"It says, 'Babe Ruth'," Benny sighed, showing everyone the signed ball.

"I don't know, Benny, man," Bertram shook his head.

"Yeah, boy, that looks pretty crappy," Yeah-Yeah agreed with a nod.

"It doesn't matter what it looks like," Benny said. "Their Mom's never gonna know the difference. This'll just buy us some time, you dorks."

"Okay, come on," Scotty said as we all ran down the sidewalk.

I took Benny's free hand in mine and pulled him back to stop for a moment.

Benny raised an eyebrow at me.

"Thanks, Benny," I said with a smile. "I really appreciate what you're doing for my brother and I."

Benny smiled and nodded.

He gave me a gentle, soft, and quick kiss on the lips before pulling away.

"Anything for my girlfriend," Benny winked. "We should go put this fake ball in your step dad's trophy room before your Mom notices it's missing."

I nodded and smiled as I ran beside Benny, running to catch up with the rest of the boys.

"Scotty? Y/n?" Our Mom called from out in the hallway.

Scotty quickly put the fake baseball where Bill's old ball was.

"Uh, in here, Mom," Scotty gasped.

"Oh, hi, honey," Our Mom said, opening the door of Bill's trophy room wider so that she could see us. "What are you kids doing in here?"

"Uh, just looking at Bill's-," Scotty started. "I mean, uh, Dad's baseball."

I nodded.

"You know he doesn't like you kids to touch his things," Our Mom said.

"Yeah," Scotty nodded. "We-we know. Sorry, Mom."

"Has he ever told you kids about that ball?" Our Mom gestures over to the fake ball on its own little stand.

"Nope," I said, bluntly, shaking my head.

"Uh, no," Scotty said, shaking his head. "Uh, not really. I-I don't think so. No, no, no, he hasn't at all. I don't-I don't know anything about it."

I sighed.

With how nervous Scotty was being, he was going to get us caught for sure.

Our Mom didn't seem to think anything of Scotty's stuttering because she just continued talking.

"Babe Ruth signed that ball. He was...the greatest baseball player who ever lived."

I already knew that.

"Oh," Scotty chuckled. "Really?"

"He sure is," Our Mom nodded. "Your Dad's father gave it to him. Maybe someday he'll give it to you."

"Oh," Scotty chuckled. "Neat."

Scotty seemed embarrassed.

Even our Mom knew who Babe Ruth was. It was salt in an open wound to him.

He was dead meat.