Blood-red Hearts

By : elthedane
Source : AO3

On, off. On, off. On, off.

Toji flicked the light switch with the same practiced precision as he placed his guns into his bag. He set a piece of paper behind the door as he left, measured specifically equidistant from the doorframe. That way, if someone entered his apartment while he was gone, Toji would know. They were old habits, superstitions learned from assignment after assignment.

Untraceable. Appearance of vacation.

It was a familiar request. Make them disappear . The police would search once they'd been gone for months, but by then every trail would have gone cold.

The Gojo estate was a manor set atop the hillside. Ocean view. Modern. The decor wasn't to Toji's liking in the slightest, painfully bland and pristine, like the mansion was uninhabited.

It was a quick job, one well suited to Toji's skillset. Piano wire around the throat, squeeze until they stop moving. The man first, and then the woman before she had time to scream. It was simple muscle memory. He packed two suitcases and loaded the bodies into one of the Gojos' many cars. His contact would take the car and make it disappear along with any traces of the Gojos. Toji briefly wondered what people like this did for a living, how they could possibly afford to live in such opulence. The thought was rapidly dismissed and he returned to the task at hand.

He helped himself to some of the expensive whiskey behind the bar, a reward for another job well done. God only knew the Gojos wouldn't need it anymore. The glassware was then meticulously cleaned and returned to its original spot on the shelf. He had half a mind to swipe a few things to pay the bills, but he was a professional after all.

A final wipe down of every possible surface, and Toji was ready to return home and hit the sack. That was, until the sound of feather-light feet padding down the stairs.

"Who are you?" A small, sleep-ridden voice asked.

The kid was young, as young as Megumi. A tiny thing with white hair and startling blue eyes.

"Fuck," Toji grumbled to himself.

The assignment hadn't mentioned a kid.

He wasn't averse to taking the kid out, but the proximity to his son's age made the whole thing eerie, somehow.

"I'm hungry," the Gojo brat whined. It was a pitiful, quiet sound and if it weren't for the luxury surrounding them, he would have almost believed the kid was starving.

Toji dropped himself to a crouch, eye-level. He pulled a lollipop from his coat pocket and handed it to the kid. He took it without so much as a thank you and Toji bristled. It figured that a kid from a place like this would have no manners. In all the years before Toji had lost custody, he'd never have let Megumi get away with that.

"Whaddaya say?"

Two blinks of lazuline. Confusion spreading over doll-like features.

"Fuckin' never mind."

The little Gojo sucked greedily at the cherry lollipop, pink-stained saliva glistening on his chin. Toji fought the urge to wipe it away.

"Who are you?" The kid asked again.

Toji didn't know how to tell him he was the guy who'd just ruined his life.

The assignment hadn't required Toji to terminate Gojo Satoru, but he supposed leaving him to the whims of the foster care system was an equally grim fate. So Toji had done what anyone would. He took the kid back to his apartment, flicked the lights on and off three times, re-measured his sheet of paper.