Cherry

By : catoruu
Source : AO3

"so, what did you want to talk to us about?"

satoru fidgets with the sleeve of his hoodie for comfort, avoiding the multiple eyes gazing into his face. he looks up into the blossoming trees sitting in the middle of campus, and finds the speech he'd rehearsed in his mind seems to be lost. all he'd needed to do was ask toji. the decision he's been tormented over was welcomed enthusiastically by him the night before, in the comfort of his muscular arms. that had been all the confirmation he needed to leave his own desolate apartment for his neat little one in shibuya.

"satoru? i don't have all day, y'know?"

suguru narrows his beautiful almond eyes at him jokingly, but satoru can tell that not knowing is bothering him. they've mirrored each other since the day they met, and gathering them altogether like this can only mean it's something serious. at some point, time began moving too fast for him to comprehend, and suddenly it was only him who felt eternally seventeen. everyone around him has matured into full fledged adults, and he doesn't come close in being as sure of himself.

"is this something stupid that you'll laugh about? are you making it more serious than it is?" shoko interjects, angling her bitter cigarette fumes away from his face out of politeness. toji never cares to do so. he's not the least bit ashamed of his unhealthy habits. satoru knows that it just comes with the type of person he is. he can be intensely sweet, asking him questions about everything he learns at university like he seriously wants to know. other times he doesn't want to hear anything he has to say.

"cut to the chase, satoru. you're worrying me," utahime sings directly into his ear, really drawing the syllables out, and uses her delicate fingers to brush a few strands of hair away from his eyes. she seems utterly relaxed, unlike everyone else around him, and he decides he can't continue to be quiet when she nudges him in the ribs with her sharp elbow. there's no easy way for him to preface what he's about to say. it's out of character for him to be so secretive about what's happening in his life, especially when he usually can't keep a secret for longer than a few minutes.

"well. i met someone."

they all express some form of shock, which satoru had expected. he has never made any allusions to finding anyone he wants to be with, nothing deeper than a fleeting crush. as a teenager, there'd been a grey area in his relationship with suguru where he was unsure of what he felt for him was deeper than platonic love. he's not what suguru wants anyway. they love each other more than anyone in the world, which is why it had hurt so much when he'd decided to move in with his new boyfriend. he says 'new' but in reality, they'd been dating for years and satoru had never admitted it to himself.

"who is it?" suguru asks gently, tilting his head so their eyes can meet. they've both been so busy that it's been a long while since they've spoken alone, or even just gone on a walk together like they used to. maybe that's why he's so nervous to tell him this. he's not ashamed of toji, and making decisions like this are never easily swayed once he's made his mind up. whatever they say won't make him any less sure. he's thought about this with a clear mind, especially on the seemingly endless nights where he realises how quiet it can be without shoko and suguru.

"he's a little older than i am. you might freak out."

"there's nothing wrong with someone older. as long as they're not married," nanami pipes up for the first time, his smooth hazel eyes flickering around his face thoughtfully. satoru exhales through his nose and picks at the corner of his hoodie to dwell on the easiest way to tell them about the enigma that is toji. he can't be described because there are too many words to detail every aspect of his personality. satoru's not sure why the gravity of moving is only seeming to hit him now. it had been concrete to him before he'd been faced with telling everyone.