Prologue

Goosebumps is what travelled up Yvette's spine. Her manor had always been like that. Cold.

She sat in her room, staring emotionless out the window. It was raining yet again onto the perfectly primmed courtyard.

Her manor was over the top fancy. Crystal chandeliers barley lighting the dull rooms, black tiles with white marble walls. Maybe an occasional splash of deep green, but for the most part, it was boring.

Being in the House of Payne meant acting somewhat like a programmed robot. Every part of your life was controlled, like a puppet on strings. That's exactly how Yvette felt.

The seven year old wore her usual black dress and black mary janes.

The only interesting thing of today, was that the Malfoy's and Blacks were coming for brunch. The time on Yvette's pocket watch read nine thirty.

She sighed and left her firm bed, clacking her shoes towards the door. Her room was cold and miserable, much like her life. Boring, bland and repetitive was all she knew.

Raised like a lamb for slaughter was her life. At seven years of age she already knew her purpose. As soon as she became 17, she would marry a wealthy, noble man. And she didn't have a say in who.

"Girl. Get down here." A deep, almost sadistic voice rung from downstairs. It echoed through the long, dark hallway. Her heartbeat increased and she picked up the pace, jogging the quietest she could towards the stairs.

She reached the top of the staircase and slowed her steps, making it seem like she wasn't running at all. At the bottom of the stairs stood Atlas Payne. A fierce cold man. He was utterly terrifying. He was as large as he was purely evil. He towered over the walls almost reaching the ceiling.

He scowled at his daughters appearance. "Snoom, get here." He ordered the house elf who scurried over, whimpering.

"Kick it." He stared daggers into Yvette's eyes. Her mouth dropped. It was a test. She couldn't do it though, the poor elf was only trying to survive.

It looked up at Yvette with those big round eyes. She stared at the elf, stuck to her spot.

She could feel the burning gaze of her father. "Pathetic," He spat like acid, advancing towards the girl. She flinched and brought her hands to her face. He grabbed a fistful of her hair and dragged her into the living room. He made sure to kick the elf on his way as well.

"I'm sorry," She winced as she was dragged painfully.

He threw his daughter onto the floor and watched as she scurried to stand up. "Make yourself presentable," He muttered before storming off, his footsteps shaking the floor.

Her mother Scarlet Payne was seated upon one of the many white couches. She glared at Yvette, before going back to reading her book.

She felt like screaming and crying but she didn't have the energy. Why her father was putting her though these tests, she'd never know.

The girls sat on the couch flattening her hair once again. She thought about her brunch. She would see her cousin Lucius again which was no delight. Her aunt and uncle, Abraxas and Gomesia Malfoy as well.

However she would be meeting the Black family for the first time. According to the overheard conversations of her parents, they had two sons, Sirius and Regulus.

Probably another snobby bunch just like her cousin Lucius.

Her pocket watch read nine forty, the guests should've been arriving soon. A pop from outside with a few whispers sent Yvette's parents towards the door.