Chapter 9: Black Coffee

Notes:

apologies for shorter chapter. I'm having difficulty writing out the chapters both because of life and because I'm rewatching bnha so my story can be as canon compliant as possible, but rewatching a show I'm not as enthusiastic about is pretty taxing ya know? (not to mention that I finally came around to finishing BEAST over the weekend and that actually still physically hurts.)
(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text
"Are you sure Lunch Rush will give me coffee if I ask for it?" Kenji questioned his current line companion for the millionth time with the cock of his head.

Tokoyami nodded without showing an ounce of annoyance. "He delivers every time I ask for it, so it should not be a problem for you."

Just as the bird-headed teen said, Kenji was given his black coffee without much fuss. The only concern the hero had raised was Kenji's refusal to get any other food. It didn't take long for the boy to convince him that he had his own lunch packed. As soon as they stepped out of the line, Tokoyami raised a confused brow.

"I don't remember seeing you carry a bento to the cafeteria?"

Kenji shrugged his shoulders, taking large sips from the hot drink and keeping up his friendly smile. It was definitely much more friendly than the previous mornings now that they had completed the written portion of the exams. "I had a big breakfast this morning. My brother got carried away so now I'm not really hungry."

Tokoyami's long stare didn't seem entirely convinced, but he dropped the issue nevertheless. Kenji internally sighed in relief.

Kenji also soon realized that if he didn't have food with him, he had no reason to sit with Tokoyami. The boy wasn't very social usually and Kenji choosing to sit with him and be chatty would certainly make him uncomfortable and less willing to open up to Kenji.

"Who are you sitting with today?" Kenji asked to be sure. Tokoyami seemed to hesitate before he looked in one direction. Kenji followed his line of sight to find a dark, lone table in the corner of the large cafeteria. A dark place so he could talk with his Quirk. Kenji could only sigh in defeat as he proposed for the boy to join him. He wasn't surprised at all to be politely rejected. It seemed like there really were people who weren't affected by his smile.

Now Kenji found himself seated at the only table to catch his eye and wave him over excitedly. At least it was within sight of the lonesome student who was currently in an animated chat with his Quirk.

"Is this the Kenji that we know now?" Sero asked teasingly upon noticing the visible change in personality now that exams were over. Kenji giggled sheepishly.

"I'm sorry for upsetting anyone these past few days! My brother wouldn't let me sleep until he was sure I understood the material, and as you can see, mornings are not my favorite thing," Kenji replied with a grin.

"I'm just glad the paper portion is over with," Mina whined. She was stabbing at her natto more than mixing, eyes closed as she thought back on the difficult exam questions. "I'm ready to actually use my Quirk already!"

"The exams weren't that bad," Kenji said.

"Not as bad as I thought since we had Yaomomo help us," Kaminari agreed. Kenji looked at his cup and nodded slightly.

In actuality, Kenji was still coming to terms with the fact that he was smart when he actually put in the effort. Before, he could hardly read kanji. Now, the algebra he so much hated was starting to make sense to him, and it almost alarmed him at how fast he seemed to have picked up the exam materials. He never would have taken the time to understand what he was learning at the school if it hadn't been for Kunikida's instruction to pass the exams. Not like he could say any of that to his study group friends.