Chapter 14: Silver

Notes:

cw : swearing, and AFO? putting this just in case

Apologies for inconsistent POV's and the fact that I still can't write fight/battle scenes.
(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text
A few minutes before the heroes began their raid...

Tanizaki knew the young hero students' will wasn't going to be shaken with a few sweet words as easily. From the first day that he started to observe the class next to Kenji, he had already categorized Crimson as stubborn but determined to achieve whatever goal he set his mind to type. Not the prettiest personality, but his passion was unmistakable.

That's why he releases disbelieving chuckles and leans against the wall next to Tokoyami when Dabi had turned to him. Raising his chin, his eyes reflected his amusement. No words were exchanged, yet everyone in the room could sense the silent argument they were having with one another.

Dabi simply scowled before turning to Twice instead. Shigaraki had just instructed them to untie Bakugou, and while Dabi was uninterested in untying him, nobody other than Tanizaki seemed to be wary of him potentially retaliating the moment his chains were removed. And here Tanizaki thought that Dabi was smart. Looks like the hero society had failed him  that  badly.

Now, Tanizaki knows he shouldn't be here. He hadn't  wanted  to be here, and the agency had told him that he's free to leave the league at any time since his investigation was pretty inconclusive.

Looking at the blonde teenager rubbing his wrists after having them chained down for the past few days, Tanizaki knows he can't leave the students alone just yet. Even if it gets him wrapped up in whatever conflict was sure to happen, he needs to make sure the villains don't kill Crimson and Black.

"Even though our situations differ..." Shigaraki began as he stood up from his seat. Tanizaki gripped the switchblade in his hoodie pocket a little tighter. "...everyone here has been restricted and suffered because of people... " One step. "...rules..." Another step. "...and heroes..." Tanizaki could see Bakugou's legs start to tense. He's feigning ignorance to allow the League leader to get closer. "I'm sure you also–"

Before Shigaraki could finish that sentence, Bakugou lunged at him much like he had done to Snow a few days prior, except now he was able to use his Quirk. Bakugou wasn't stupid, but apparently, a room full of villains was.

With one student on his feet in a fighting stance, and well aware of his ability to still use his Quirk out of self-defense, Tanizaki pulls out his switchblade. Without moving from his spot, he had the blade against the still restrained bird-headed students' neck. Despite his earlier words, the feisty blonde now seemed to be at a loss.

Bakugou was contemplating his choices. Tanizaki could see the various possibilities filtering through his eyes, and he didn't need to be a mind reader or Dazai to know that they all led to the same conclusion. If he was a millisecond too late, Snow's knife would slice through Tokoyami's neck. Even with grasping the tiny hope of him being an undercover officer, he wasn't willing to take that risk until he was more sure of his options.

"I was really hoping we would come to an understanding," Shigaraki sighed. Tanizaki was impressed with his sudden maturity to not lash out like a child, but today must be a good day for the villain. "Compress, put them back to sleep."

"Such a terrible listener," Compress shook his head. He turned to the still seated and tied up Tokoyami next to him only for the glint of the knife Snow was holding to his neck make him walk towards Bakugou first. The immobile student poses no threat at the moment. The explosive one does.