forty four

Skylar's POV

My eyes shot open and I gasped for oxygen. It was dark; the air was around me damp and heavy in my throbbing lungs. I was immediately awake and fully alert to see and feel that I was not in the same comfortable state I was in falling asleep. I wasn't in a bed, I wasn't next to Ashton, and my surroundings didn't smell of his familiar cologne like they usually always do. The darkness around me smelled of what I presumed to be rusting metal and cigarette smoke. Either that, or perhaps it was the stench of dried blood and an old fire. I also noticed that I was standing up, but tied to the cement floor with chains holding me down by the wrists. Oh shit.

Oh shit was right. I tried to take a step forward, but the chains kept me glued to my spot. "No," I breathed, my wide eyes trailing up and down my restraints. The chains were shiny but freezing against my fair skin, and wouldn't let me budge even an inch.

"Are you fucking kidding me!" I yelled, tilting my head up to the ceiling. I have been in this situation way too many times by now, and yet I still have no idea how to get out of it.

The next thing I realized, was the fact that I was the only one in here. Wherever 'here' was, I was all alone. My voice bounced off the walls as if there was no one else to receive it, which told me that 'here' was a big space, but an empty one at that. Which also indicated that I had no idea where Ashton was.

"Ashton!" I cried out, desperately tugging on the chains again, but I pulled too hard and I fell to my knees. The ground felt dirty and sticky on my skin; that whole 'dried blood' theory suddenly seemed more logical than the other.

"Yuck." I spat under my breath, squinting my eyes to try to see whatever I was kneeling in. I couldn't tell. The big room was only lit by a single lightbulb hanging a few yards in front of me. This reminded me of the very first night I was kidnapped. Already, this had Derek written all over it.

I whimpered and sat back on my heels, tears already trailing down my cheeks. I just wanted Ashton to be here, so I could be positive that he's safe, but something terrible probably happened to him. If Derek's behind this, Ashton's probably dead.

I don't even remember how I got here in the first place. All I remember is falling asleep next to Ashton, after being ensured that he would stand guard on our money all night... how did I get dumped somewhere as scary as this? I'm not that heavy of a sleeper, am I?

Finally, after what's felt like hours of me quietly crying to myself, wishing for nothing more than for Ashton to be okay, I heard a door squeak open from somewhere across the room. Next came the suspenseful sounds of footsteps, gradually making their way towards me as I shakily pulled myself up to my feet. The foot steps were getting louder and louder, lazily dragging themselves across the dusty cement. I heard a faint chuckle, and I instantly recognized it as Derek's.

He and his evil face appeared just moments later, emerging into the small pool of light in front of me. He had a smirk on his face as his eyes raked up and down my body. I shrunk back in fear and vigorously shook my head. "No! Get away from me-"

"Shhh," Derek said quietly, holding his finger to his lips. "Skylar-"

"Get away!" I backed up as far as the chains would let me, spitting at him when he tried to take a step towards me. "Get the fuck away I swear to God!"

He stuck his hands up in defense. "Jesus fucking christ, Skylar. You need to chill."

"I need to chill? I need to chill?" I panted. "You need to chill! What is this for?"

I gestured to the chains around my wrists. Derek didn't respond, he just looked me up and down and laughed quietly to himself. "Answer me!" I demanded. "What could you possibly want?"