fourteen

I remember thinking about how much an alarm clock is one of the most annoying ways to wake up, and that would ulatamitely still be correct. I just really hate the annoying beeps that are almost screams in my ear; taunting me and telling me that my wonderful sleep had to be interrupted and put of hold until nighttime. Usually an alarm clock means it's time for me to get up and get ready for work or something, but that hasn't happened recectly either. But this morning, I didn't necessarily wake up to an actual alarm clock, but a ringing noise that jolted me out of the once peaceful slumber I had.

My eyes shot open in surprise to the sound of my phone ringing. I must've forgotten to put it on silent, because it sounded like a full on fire alarm to my dowsy ears. I sat right up and blinked my eyes, trying to get the tired bluriness out of them. Even though half of my brain was upset that I had to wake up, the other half ws alarmed with the realization that someone was calling me. And, with my amount of about zero friends, that means it could only one of two people calling me: my mother, or my boss.

As I got out of the messy white sheets to grab my phone off the other bed next to me, I remembered a few things from the night before. One of them, was the fact that I fell asleep with Ashton practically in my arms. It's a little overwhelming to think that just a few days ago I despised him, then I went ahead and held him in my arms the whole night whle we slept. I looked down beside me, and to my guess we must've moved a lot during the night. Ashton was laying down right beside me now, the his face burried into the pillow we must've been sharing and his loose curls falling over his forehead. His mouth was wide open, inhaling air with a loud snore and exhaling it just as loudly. I'm surprised I still haven't woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of his boisterous snoring, but maybe that's because I've just been to tired lately.

Another thing I noticed while I was being too scared to go and answer my phone, was the sight of Ashtons's arm dramped over my waist. Even with me sitting up his muscluar arm was still around me, carelessly and leisurely bringing our bodies closer to one another. It was a simple gesture of him to unconsciously make, but it still made a sensational feeling come over me.

I told myself to stop being a wuss, and go get my phone before the ringing wakes him up too. I scrambled out fo bed, and practically flew onto the other, bouncing up and down on the springy matress while I fumbled around to finally answer it. The caller ID flashed on the screen, making my heart pound to the sight of it being Stella, my boss.

"Hello?" I said weakly, clearing my throat for it was the first time I've spoken since waking up.

"Skylar!" I took the phone away from my ear for a second to avoid the loudness of Stella's voice. "Where the hell are you?"

"Uh..." my voice awkwardly trailed off and I glanced around the room, trying to think up some excuse that would be maybe realistic. I've already used the excuse of being sick, and I told her I would be back in the shop a few days ago. Obviously, I'm not coming back to the shop anytime soon. I'm far from that now, and I'm beginning to feel scared to even step up foot in New York City. "...I dunno."

"You what?" Stella asked, while I cringed at my stupidity. "Skylar, this is serious."

"How is it serious?"

"You were supposed to be back last week!" she shouted into the phone. "Last! Week!"

"Oh...I was?" I questioned, hoping I sounded dumber than how I felt. This was somthing I was most definitely not looking forward to. Even though Stella is really nice, she's not so accepting with this kind of stuff. Even if you're 5 minutes late to work, she get's upset.

"Yes," she said. "Where are you?"

"I...uh..." I tried to think of something, but I didn't know what to say. If I said I was still feeling sick, she would wonder why I haven't called to let her know. I was now staring down at my free hand that was picking away at the bed's blankets I was untop of, but after a few moments Ashton shifting his body on the other bed caught my attention. I looked up and at once our gazes met, for he had finally woken up as well.