prologue

Four years ago: October 21st - 10:29 pm

The girl sat alone, letting her eyes wander around the spacious living room. Her mother was out for the night, as she usually is. It was a common feeling this girl had; being alone in a big empty space. She felt that way a lot, whenever her mom wasn't home or when she was at school, so she was used to it by now. She could and would go and call a friend...you know, if she really had any. She looked around as the tv played infront of her. It played the usual crappy teen shows that really shouldn't be broadcasted out to the general public, but she really didn't mind. She usually doesn't watch tv on this huge screen anyways, but sometimes she just likes to listen to it play in the background. It made her think that she actually had company, and that people actually cared to listen to her.

She shuddered at her thoughts, scolding herself. She sat up on the soft couch and shook her head, muttering mean things outloud. She told herself to stop being so ungrateful. She always thinks about how great it would be to actually have people around her that care about her, but she always hates it when she thinks about that. How could she ever feel bad for herself? How could she ever think she feels empty when she has absolutely everything?

That's right; absolutely everything. Everything a teeage girl could want: a huge house, the cutest clothes, the nicest phone, a fancy Lamborgini ready for her when she finally gets her license, and a pre-payed college tuition. Honestly, what more could someone ask for? She had tangible and expensive things, that would make anyone and maybe even everyone envious of her. She knew people were jealous of everything her mother spoils her with, but she really didn't see why. Her mother would always say to the girl, "Skylar, do you want this? I'll buy you this, this, and this." and, "Oh, Skylar, buy whatever you want, I don't care."

'I don't care.' her mother would say. And though the girl knew what she meant, the words still hurt. Growing up, the girl got everything she wanted. Ever since all this money was given to her and her mother after her father was prohibited from keeping any custody of her, and after all the years her mother spent away working her ass off, they had more than enough. They had so much that they didn't need, too. This huge house held two very unsocial people, and an abundance of money that could be donated or given to somebody else. You know...someone who would actually benefit from it all. Her mother still does work her ass off, and the girl still can't remember the last time she had an actual conversation with her own mom. Niether of them are very good at starting conversations with one another...nor do they have any talkative skills with people outside this huge house.

She always thought about it. Like, what is the point of having everything you could ever want when there's no one to share it with? No more alcoholic father, barely no mother (or so it felt like), no siblings, and no friends. She had a lot of things...but no people. Things and people are two very different concepts: one of them have actual feelings and emotions...while the other, doesn't really have much meaning at all.

A person could guess having a lot of money and clothes and fancy things could make a person happy...but all it did was make this girl feel alone. She should be grateful, but all she feels is this constant loneliness. This loneliness clung to her like tape; wrapping around her and refusing to let go. Sometimes she wonders who's more empty; her big house, or herself. And as much as she tries to make friends, or just forget about it all...she can't. She can't help all the loneliness she has...and all the lack of freedom she seems to possess.

'What even is freedom?' That's a question she asks herself a lot, and she still hasn't found the answer. Is it to do things on your own? Stand up for youself? Buy everything with your own money? There must be a more in-depth meaning to the concept of 'freedom', but the girl has yet to find it yet. She's young, nonetheless, but she feels lost.